question about battery replacement

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshall
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Re: question about battery replacement

Postby marshall » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Surely you have vehicles or tractors, perhaps a garden tractor, with a 12 volt battery with battery clamp posts.

There's the solution. Maybe I'll pop my car battery out for a few hours and see how things work.
If its running, would there be a VOM reading somewhere that would indicate that this is the wrong or right voltage battery??

Thanks for all the help.

Randy57
Zip Code: 38379

Postby Randy57 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello,Thinking about your battery/starter issue ,it has always seem to me that a 6 volt battery with good charge and good clean cable connections is more than enough to crank a cub engine if the engine is in specs.If you can obtain a hand crank check to see how the engine spins with the hand crank,if hard check the valves to see if they have the proper clearance,if they are to loose a 6 or 12 volt battery will have a tough time cranking the engine,Iforget what the proper clearance is but I think maybe .013 but I'M not sure.If the above posts fixes your cub wad this one up and throw it in the trash :lol: Randy

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 pm

That was a 6 volt tractor that had a cut out relay from the factory, the relay has been replaced, look at it carefully and many times they are marked 6 or 12 volt or may have a part # on it, some times it is on the bottom of the regulator, which might help figure out if it was converted to 12 volt or not, the generator is marked 12 volt so it probably was converted,your wiring looks pretty sad and needs some help if you want to make it charge correctly, here is a test sheet to help you checkout the charging system, I would drop a 12 volt battery in it and check the charging rate, the 6 volt starter can handle the 12 volt conversion
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif
Last edited by tst on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Hand crank is easy enough to make if you have a 2.5 ft length of 5/8 rod and a torch to heat it to make the bends. Stan
hand crank.jpg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Go with a 12V battery. You already have a 12V generator so you have nothing to lose in trying to get it working, and if it doesn't work the least expensive fix is a 12V alternator.

A heavy duty lawn mower battery (420CCA) is more than adequate to start a Cub. These batteries are cheap ($40 or so) and fit in the Cub's battery box with room to spare.

Most likely your 6V starting issues are from poor cables, poor connections, and/or a tired starter.

Many old 6V tractors were converted to 12V when the starter got tired, because the 12V masks that problem. Eventually the starter gets so worn out that it won't even turn over on 12V. In extreme cases such as with one starter I've come across, the brushes were worn completely away and the brush screws were gouging into the commutator. That starter was ruined and I had to throw it away.

Your charging system wasn't working, either. If it was, your battery would have exploded from being charged at 12V. The discharged battery probably also contributed to the poor starting qualities of the tractor.