This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

#1 Cylinder TDC Simple Question **Updated**

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

#1 Cylinder TDC Simple Question **Updated**

Postby ctltmp » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm

One simple question. When #1 piston is on compression stroke TDC should it be at the top of the stroke or already traveling down in the bore?

Thank you
Last edited by ctltmp on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WV Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: #1 Cylinder TDC Simple Question

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:10 pm

TDC = Top Dead Center. At that point the piston is neither travelling up or down, at that brief instant it is stopped.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Thank you Bill. Exact answer I thought I would get.

Therefore, my tractor's TDC is timed to the first notch on the pulley rather than the second since at the second notch the piston is already traveling nearly 1/4" into the bore.
WV Mike

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:43 pm

The first notch is 16* before TDC (BTDC). The second notch is TDC.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Well, had to move the governor a tooth but up and running. Now moving on to fixing the slop in the governor/rockshaft key. Pretty hard to tune much with all that play.
WV Mike

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:At that point the piston is neither travelling up or down, at that brief instant it is stopped

This can be seen/found very accurately with a dial indicator with a long wire tip bent at an angle placed through the spark plug hole on top of the piston.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: #1 Cylinder TDC Simple Question **Updated**

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:51 am

Now hold the horses. Thats what I have been trying to explain to everyone. If you can use a dial indicator to find the top of the stroke as tdc second mark isn't tdc in my case.

Although everything says the second pulley mark is tdc, when I align to that mark the piston has already passed the top its the stroke and is traveling substantially down in the cylinder.

When I align to the first mark the piston is at the top of its stroke. The tractor starts and runs when timed to either mark.

On engines I was taught when you have no reference come up to compression stick a screwdriver in the hole and feel until the piston is at the top. If that rule applies and I think it does the second pulley mark is not tdc on this engine.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 am

When you worked on the engine did you remove the pulley mounted on the front of the crankshaft?

Possible that during a previous engine overhaul the pulley was incorrectly installed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:57 am

Eugene,
I did not remove the pulley. Someone overhauled it before (has .010 under bearings).I rolled the crankshaft bearings out and in. My suspicious has always been it wasn't assembled right.

Knowing that should I go back to piston at compression tdc top of stroke (this would be first mark in my case) and reset governor? All timing marks align in this position on the idler and governor.

I know this goes against the book but I don't think it was built by the book either.
WV Mike

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:17 am

My new pulley came with just one mark... I did the math and filed the second one in. Is it possible that someone did the same with yours but put it on the wrong side of the first one?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 am

TDC not only refers to the piston being at the top of the stroke but that the crankshaft journal is at 360 degrees, top of the journal arc. The piston will reach it's highest point slightly before the crankshaft journal reaches it's highest point in the arc. The piston will remain at it's highest point until the crankshaft journal passes the 360 degree point and starts it downward movement.

Couple of ways to accurately determine TDC. Dial indicator, roll engine over until piston is at assumed TDC. Mark pulley. Roll engine over backward until same point is reached on dial indicator, mark pulley. TDC will be exactly half way between both marks.

Since this is a magneto. I would try to accurately determine the TDC mark on the pulley. Then set the governor for timing the magneto.

I don't know if you can do this, never tried. The key way in the crankshaft for installing the pulley is at 360 degrees, crankshaft TDC. Flashlight and mirror, you may be able to see the key way location.

Whole bunch of assumptions. If the idler pulley was correctly installed, the timing marks for the governor should show up centered in the governor installation hole at TDC. Might take two full crankshaft revolutions to find the timing marks.

And an edit: The I&T manuals have a method of determining TDC by measuring the valve to tappet clearance. Haven't tried this method, just read about it years ago.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 am

Eugene,
Pricipals you described understood. With pulley on first mark timing marks on idler are centered in the casting hole and line up 2 & 10 exactly. Matter of fact you and I used a picture of it as an example for another member a couple days ago (you resized it for them). That picture was taken at first mark on pulley #1 compression stroke piston at top of stroke.
WV Mike

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:39 am

brewzalot wrote:My new pulley came with just one mark... I did the math and filed the second one in. Is it possible that someone did the same with yours but put it on the wrong side of the first one?

Based on all the information given, either this happened or the pulley is installed out of position. Either it was installed without a key or the key/keyway is damaged.

If you have determined TDC with certainty, use that location to time with and ignore any misplaced marks. Normally I would not give this suggestion, but you seem certain about your TDC measurement.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks guys. This cub has had me at wits end from day one. Never had one problem with the 52 cub I did. I'll establish positive tdc (seems like it's going to be first mark or very close to it).

If it wasn't my wife's grandpaps tractor I believe I'd shove it in the weeds or make one of you guys a heck of a deal on it! Comes complete with 3 plows and a set of cultivators! :wink:
WV Mike

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: #1 Cylinder TDC Simple Question **Updated**

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Well I found "this things" tdc, timed it up and it starts up immediately. Much better than before.

The bad news is when I pulled the governor I found a nice chunk out of the new seal. No idea how it got there. This seal has a double lip. I installed it to the 23/32 depth. Before I put the governor back in I went ahead and set it 1/8 deeper as discussed in other posts. Since the seal has a double lip whats the chance of it not leaking by? That thing was a bugger to get in straight.
WV Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”