This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel strainer will not stop flow when shut off.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Fuel strainer will not stop flow when shut off.

Postby Waif » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Greetings all!
Recently acquired a 48 cub that has had a rough life.
Replaced the fuel system except the tank.
Working a leak at carb , and suspecting the ferrule did not shear properly I have been trying repeatedly to shut the gas off.
A TM strainer with the lever screwed in clockwise till it seats/stops turning.
Tightened packing nut till hard to turn the shut off lever after repeated attempts...and a lot of gas has been dumped on tractor and ground still.
Finally let it pour and changed fitting , but why can the fuel not be shut off at strainer?

The fitting that the strainer replaced was a strange one to me ,with a couple ridges on it and only by forcing a wet fuel line on it could the previous owners fuel line rig fit.
put the compatible TM steel line on but am considering splicing it with a section of rubber away from the manifold and putting a ball valve in to stop fuel and ease the frequent pulling of hood and tank.
Much awaits in changing plugs and stopping hydraulic fluid into crankcase so the hood could about use velcro fasteners. :shock:
Thanks for your input...I've lurked about and find the site a tremendous resource for old tin mules.
Should have lurked a while before acquiring one though as so much has been learned already.
Ever seen a tourqe/trans tube broke all the way around then scabbed back together? Ouch.
Dang thing has a strong heart though,despite coughing flem/oil/hydro out the stack when crankcase gets fullish.
Final drives and steering and hydraulic fluids still need changed. The hydro after leak(hopefully one o ring vs rebuild) gets stopped.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Fuel strainer will not stop flow when shut off.

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

The fitting you describe sounds like a hose barb for a rubber hose. Unfortunately those most often have a pipe thread which has stripped out the 1/2-20 thread that the OEM fitting needs to seal properly. Can you tell if it's leaking at the fitting where the gas line inserts or elsewhere? The sediment bowl also has a cork or rubber gasket that might need replacing if you determine the leak to be at the top edge of the bowl. I'm assuming that the gas is leaking at the sediment bowl and not out the carburetor bottom. If that's wrong there are several "how to's" in that subforum about adding a ball valve. And welcome to the Forum.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The fitting you describe sounds like a hose barb for a rubber hose. Unfortunately those most often have a pipe thread which has stripped out the 1/2-20 thread that the OEM fitting needs to seal properly. Can you tell if it's leaking at the fitting where the gas line inserts or elsewhere? The sediment bowl also has a cork or rubber gasket that might need replacing if you determine the leak to be at the top edge of the bowl. I'm assuming that the gas is leaking at the sediment bowl and not out the carburetor bottom. If that's wrong there are several "how to's" in that subforum about adding a ball valve. And welcome to the Forum.

Bob

Thank you for the welcome , and the kindness of a reply.
I removed the former connection at the fuel tank , and pipe doped the new fuel strainer in it's place.
Fuel continues to flow into sediment bowl when valve on strainer is closed by turning it's lever clockwise until seated/stopped.
The reson fuel needs to be shut off is /was the fitting leaking at new carb.
Strainer does not seem to leak at all. Just gas flowing from it when removing gas line, and after the line is removed the sediment bowl keeps filling.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:there are several "how to's" in that subforum about adding a ball valve.
Consider installing a ball valve under the fuel tank for positive fuel shut off. As Bob states, there are a number of "How To's" on this site.

I have replaced most of the sediment bowl fixtures on my farm tractors and garden tractors with a ball valve. Ball valve beats finding out that your tractor has leaked out 15 gallons of gasoline over the past couple of weeks or 7 gallons of fuel from a Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Alright. A ball valve will be employed then. That will shut the flow off.
Combined with a well proportioned gravity fuel filter to replace strainer.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Do I understand from your original post that your strainer was straight from TM Tractor Supply, and the valve won't seat? If that's true, I would send it right back to them. I've not had a chance to deal with them directly myself, yet, but everything I read on here indicates great customer service and that they would be happy to take care of the issue.

I'm doing just the reverse on one of mine. It came with a ball valve that leaked, rubber tubing and an inline filter I couldn't get enough flow through, so I am going back to a strainer and steel lines. I am also cleaning and lining the tank.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Waif wrote:Alright. A ball valve will be employed then. That will shut the flow off.
Combined with a well proportioned gravity fuel filter to replace strainer.
Yup. Basically what I've done over the past 15 years. The actual design layout varies per tractor or lawn tractor.

Gravity flow fuel filter. I've only had to replace one or two in the past 15 years, simple, inexpensive task.

Reason I went to the ball type fuel shut off. Tried to repair the existing shut off on the sediment bowl - didn't work. Purchased two brand new sediment bowls, both leaked and lost gas. Enough of this BS and lost money - went with the ball valve.

Crimson Tim. Not sure how your fuel supply system is set up- - - but you need a gravity flow fuel filter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Eugene wrote:Crimson Tim. Not sure how your fuel supply system is set up- - - but you need a gravity flow fuel filter.

Thus far, it is only set up in my mind... I am running off a pony tank right now as the fuel tank was rusty when I got it, and I am getting ready to redkote.
I am not opposed to a filter if I can use one that is reliable. I just know that the one that was in place was visibly clean, but I was not getting sufficient fuel after disassembling and cleaning everything else multiple times. I removed the filter and suddenly I was back in business. It seemed like it should have worked. It was large, with lots of surface area. It must not have been as clean as it looked.

I have read plenty of opinions against them for a gravity feed Cub, and from posters whose opinions I respect. However, your opinions have also earned my respect, Eugene. What filter would you recommend in there? Personally, I'd prefer to have one.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 am

Crimson Tim wrote:What filter would you recommend in there?
Just ask for a gravity fed fuel filter at your auto parts store. I prefer the metal enclosed filters.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:43 am

I have to agree with Tim here. If you have, in fact, isolated the leak to the new fuel strainer, contact TM Tractor Parts about the issue. I'm sure they will do their best to resolve it. Why spend time and money adding parts as a work-around for a leaky strainer?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am

Yes , it was a new strainer. Not leaking around gasket but just does not shut fuel off when closed.
I'll pull it off within the next week and seek advice from TM.
Have not checked fitting at carb today to see if replacing it with a new one solved the leak there.
A single shaving ,like a sharp drill bit cuts ,but thinner wire , like had come off the ferrule or fitting threads.
While ferrule fittings usually are fine around sparkplug tight , I tightened it repeatedly when leaking continued until grooving the ferrule.
Possibly where the wire shaving came from.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:42 am

My sentiments exactly. If it won't shut off it is defective and the vendor is on the hook to replace it.

It's frustrating to have to wait for the replacement, but better than beating your head against the wall trying to make a defective part that cannot possibly be made to work, work, and/or harboring animosity toward the vendor for sending you the defective item without giving them a chance to make good.

Strainer vs. ball valve is a personal preference. I've personally had very little trouble with strainers and don't feel my tractors have a need for such fine fuel filtration as you get with an inline filter. I also have concern about using rubber fuel line next to the hot exhaust pipe.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:08 am

Waif wrote:. . . Replaced the fuel system except the tank. . . .

Matt Kirsch wrote:My sentiments exactly. If it won't shut off it is defective and the vendor is on the hook to replace it.

It is also possible that some piece of trash got into the valve and is keeping it from closing. It could have happened the first time it was opened. If you haven't already done so, take the stem out and make sure the valve is clean before you give up on it.

Of course, you need to drain the tank before you remove the stem.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Pulled strainer. Looking in tank inlet inside strainer while moving shutoff , greater magnification or dissasembly will be needed.
Might as mentioned be a foreign object ,though tank has been emptied repeatedly with no notice of anything.
Put goofy fitting tractor came with from previous owner's back in tank port.
Not a barbed fitting and it reminds me of a vacuum line port .
Anyway , forced rubber line over it and clamped. Then to large plastic fuel filter. A line from filter to ball valve,ball valve to metal stub cut and pipe doped at carb. Refueled , run tractor around , and no more fuel leaks.

EDIT:update.
Took valve out of strainer. No objects or debris. (Pipe dope from original assembly has loose pieces now)
The valve when nearly closed, at the last 1/4 maybe 1/8 turn feels like it hits one side ,then closes.
Still can not tell how fuel bypasses shut off ...unless seat /hole is off.

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Waif wrote:Tightened packing nut till hard to turn the shut off lever after repeated attempts...and a lot of gas has been dumped on tractor and ground still.
Finally let it pour and changed fitting , but why can the fuel not be shut off at strainer?

I suspect you may have over-tightened the packing nut and shredded the packing. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you might be able to shore the packing up with dental floss, but not too confident of my memory on that. The carb leak is due either to the float needing adjustment or a sticking needle valve, or both. For what it's worth, the shut-off on my '50 cub has never worked. Fixed my leaky carb with a carb kit and no more drips.

Mike
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

Return to “Farmall Cub”