This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sticky Sluggish Governor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Sticky Sluggish Governor

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Hope you guys don't mind all these questions, just trying to learn more. Now that Nimrod is running it seems like the governor is slow to react and sluggish. Is there lube in there that can be old and gunked up. I only see one plug in the front but that looks like an adjustment.

I'm afraid to do anything with it til I get some advice.

Thanks in advance!
WV Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DZG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49247

Re: Sticky Sluggish Governor

Postby DZG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Not 100% sure, but i believe there is a grease fitting somewhere....

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:24 pm

GSS 1012 should be of some help. Here's the link: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/downloa ... -27-55.pdf
Also, the owners manual will have the lubrication instructions for the tractor.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Ok, now if I'm on the carburetor side and move the linkage to the carb how much travel should there be before I can feel resistance from the governor? I measured 5/8" before I felt governor.
WV Mike

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:52 pm

ctltmp wrote:Hope you guys don't mind all these questions, just trying to learn more. Now that Nimrod is running it seems like the governor is slow to react and sluggish. Is there lube in there that can be old and gunked up. I only see one plug in the front but that looks like an adjustment.

I'm afraid to do anything with it til I get some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Neighbor had a sluggish one. I removed the front adjustment screw, and sprayed penetrating oil in it, a few times. It seemed to dissolve the crud, and it now works normally. Tried it on a different person's cub, and it didn't make a difference. Worth a try.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Another point is when you advance the throttle it takes a while to increase rpms. Likewise when you back off the throttle it takes a while to come down in rpms.

Darn thing is awful hard to start too. I've soak out the carb twice, it's clean as a tack. Adjusted float per Chauvin. White hot sparkle. I'm kind of stumped.
WV Mike

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Adjust the float according to this diagram from the service manual. Note that the measurement is without the gasket installed.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Getting the magneto properly timed to the engine will improving starting.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi,
To answer one of your first questions above, the governor is lubed by the engine oil, there is no separate oil in it that needs checking.
If the engine has sludge on the interior walls, there could be some in the governor.
The governor originally has no grease fitting.
The thing on the front of the governor is an adjustment. Don't turn it in too far, it will interfere with how the governor works.
If the governor is sluggish, there could be wear somewhere, the governor won't work right with worn parts. Below is a page from the Cub parts book showing the governor and parts. Number 30 often gets worn where it fits into number 8 in the pic. The key and keyway wear.
That is by the fan belt, look in from the left side, probably need a light to see it.
Be sure engine is off, reach in and hold number 8 from moving, and see if number 30 is loose in it.
Some of the guys on here take it apart, and wrap a thin shim around the end of the shaft and put it together.
Not sure what they used, might be aluminum foil. Only takes a tiny piece of material.
The pins that hold the weights on, inside the governor can wear and be loose, they need replacing if worn.
The throttle shaft and bushings in the carburetor could be worn and loose. If so they move sideways. They need replacing if loose. The shaft for the IH carb comes in some of the carb kits, or used to, not sure today. The bushings you probably have to buy somewhere that sells bushings.
This will affect the idling too, air gets in there with worn bushings.
Inspect the things on the outside of the governor first, and be sure they are good, before taking the governor off.
Have you checked the timing with a timing light, the hard starting could be from the timing being not correct. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-18.jpg

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Those are great things to try. The instructions I read said with the gasket on for float adjustment. The carb has a thick cork gasket so it would make a big difference.

I'll put a timing light on it and check that. Also going to check compression. New std.rings in it. Need an adaptor for my compression gage. By thumb it feels pretty healthy.

I'm not sure how long this thing sat. Things are probably pretty stiff and I'm sure not much maintenance was regularly done.
WV Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”