This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Exploding Throwout Bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Exploding Throwout Bearing

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:00 am

I had a pretty abrupt throwout bearing failure. The clutch had been working fine then instantly quit disengaging. The pictures below show what remained of it when I split the tractor. I've had this tractor for quite a while but not used it a whole lot (plowed snow with it one winter). As I recall, I have only given it a full grease job one time. When I got ready to grease the throwout bearing, I found that there was no grease fitting, just an empty hole in the carrier. I didn't take the time to deal with it at the time. As you can see, I didn't get back to it later.

Looking at the remains, I found that the portion of the graphite block that was inside the carrier was still in place but was full of cracks and had turned inside the carrier. The part of the block that had been outside the carrier had been reduced to small pieces and distributed around the inside of the bell housing. pieces were essentially oil free. There was no evidence of grease inside the cavity of the carrier. I don't think it was ever soaked in oil or had any grease put in. I guess that whoever installed it assumed it needed no grease when there was no fitting. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. No part number in the carrier, so I assume it was aftermarket.

The fingers were still in excellent shape but appeared to be set too low. They measured a little less than an inch, about the dimension some sources other than everyone on this site recommends. The condition of the pressure plate and disk were excellent so I decided to do some careful cross checking of the 1-1/4" finger to cover dimension against the dimensions in the IH service manuals. Setting them at 1-1/4 left too much distance to the surface of the flywheel. The lock nuts were also pretty high on the adjusting studs. I've run into the lock nut situation before as have others that have commented in previous discussions. I finally readjusted to 1-1/8" from the cover, which was still somewhat over spec from the flywheel. The lock nuts looked a lot better this way too.

This leaves some questions to ponder: Is the 1-1/4" we have been stating excessive? Was it correct with genuine original Rockford clutches but not correct for currently available replacements? Did I use the wrong dimension for distance from the flywheel? Did I just run into something oddball in my specific clutch?

I haven't finished putting the tractor back together yet, so haven't had a chance to test it set this way. Free play adjusted easily and the pedal seems to feel fine.

IMG_7545s.JPG
Exploded Throwout Bearing

IMG_7542s.JPG
Exploded Throwout Bearing

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Exploding Throwout Bearing

Postby tmays » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:17 am

Jim, I emailed Steiner several times and spoke with someone there a couple times. They insist that their 7/8" (I think that's measurement they use, going by memory here) measurement is correct. I have never bought one from Steiner, so have not been able to compare. I assume that the bearings they offer have different dimensions, hence their different measurement. I haven't pursued the matter any farther, but your post has started me wondering again. Perhaps someone here can compare an original with an aftermarket. Even then, maybe there are differences within the aftermarket choices available?
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:53 am

I had a throw out bearing that the graphite block/puck came loose and spun in the carrier. The block/puck was pretty well chipped up and cracked but didn't disintegrate to the extent displayed in the photos.

I don't recall where I purchased the throw out bearing.

Had problems setting the finger height on an after market pressure plate. Not enough threads on the finger adjustment screws to set/fasten the lock nut. Set finger height at 1 1/8" to get the lock nuts tightened down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:01 am

I agree with Jim that the 1 1/4" setting can be a little to much,I set them all at 1 1/8" with no issues

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I have had no problems on original pressure plates but the aftermarket ones have shorter screws I believe, I have had to make them as they seam to be metric thread, or the ones I have encountered did
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:10 pm

I should add a follow-up note on this adjustment.

When I got it together I set the free play of the pedal to 1 inch. After starting it up, I found the carrier could (slightly) hit the clutch cover. I opened it up some more to eliminate the interference. Another 1/8 inch on the fingers should have prevented the problem. Note that my "new" throwout bearing was a used one. I don't think it had enough wear to have caused the problem, but any wear would have added to the problem.