This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck valve and a public thanks to Boss Hog

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Stuck valve and a public thanks to Boss Hog

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:30 pm

This past spring at Boss's place Dale's cub was given a good going over as it refused to start. Turned out it had a stuck valve, once fixed it ran like a champ. We asked Boss about what to do to prevent valves from sticking and he suggested that pre-mix could be run through. That is a 50:1 gas / 2 stroke oil mix that you'd use in a chainsaw or outboard motor.
Ok, recently I had a stack of knotty pine logs stacked behind my barn that needed splitting. Though I tried to do it by hand I just couldn't get a maul through it so I asked my neighbor if I could borrow his $1,400 Home Depot gas powered log splitter. He had used it little himself but had loaned it out a year earlier and had yet to get it back.
The following weekend I found it parked in my backyard. It did run, eventually, :roll: though the oil looked like tar. I figured I'd give it a good run and change it for him after it heated up.
I set to splitting but only got 6 logs in and after 20 minutes it died. Couldn't get it to start. I went through the trouble shooting list, drained the tank, fresh gas, and changed the plug but it still wouldn't start. This was one of those damned Honda motors that has a history of broken rockers and nylon camshafts.
I walked away from it for two days all the while thinking about that moral obligation you have that when you borrow something (running) you return it that way.
Well I removed the valve cover and found no broken parts. Ok that's good but I also found the culprit, a stuck intake valve. It was suck open so a couple of squirts of oil on it, a little tap and it popped back. Putting it all back together I pulled the cord and it fired. A couple of minutes in though and it was stuck again. Damn.
It was obvious I could do this all day but I remembered what Boss had said about the pre-mix. I went and got some 2 stroke oil I use with my outboard and poured a heavy shot into the tank. I unstuck the valve, put it back together and fired it up. It ran great and I was able to finish the stack of logs I had running it for about an hour without issue. To my surprise it didn't even seem to smoke. I changed the oil and returned it to my neighbor. The next day I told him about what transpired and asked how many times he had to pull it before it started, he said a few. :wink: I then set the choke and pulled the cord. That motor was singing before I finished the first pull. Nice!
You know I wouldn't return the splitter broken, instead I was able to get it back to him in better running condition than I received it. :beer:
At his cubfest Boss shared many pearls of wisdom, I just wanted to take a minute to say that they didn't fall on deaf ears so Boss, thank you!
:hattip:
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stuck valve and a public thanks to Boss Hog

Postby tst » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:59 pm

the leaded gas they took away provided that lubrication these engines need, a touch of marvel mystery oil in the fuel tank also helps

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm

glad to here you got it running , you can not beat the mix
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 am

Good to see you have the correct neighborly attitude by returning his equipment in as good or better condition.

Thanks for the story and the tip (and to David as well). :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 am

I met a guy in the 1980s who collected Nashes. He said he would add a whole quart of motor oil very slowly to the carb intake to free up valves or get rid of tapping. He was a little on the crazy side.

I also applaud the effort to return tools better than you got it!
Last edited by inairam on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:21 am

inairam wrote:....... He said he would add a whole quart of motor oil very slowly to the curb intake to free up valves or get rid of tapping. ...........
This could lead to a branch of the "which oil is best" debate. :D Which oil is best to free sticking valves (and eliminate mosquitos) ? :lol:

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:03 pm

As tst spoke about marvel mystery oil its what I use in all my working engines. A stuck valve is not an issue I have ever seen in my own equipment so when this happened it threw me a little. I'm not sure if the light mix of marvel would have fixed the serious issue with the splitter but pre-mix certainly did. Marvel might have prevented it though.

Thanks again Boss, hope you and yours are well !
:hattip:
Oh and as for mosquitoes I had expected the heavy shot to smoke badly but I didn't see anything at all. Go figure???
For the record, :lol: I used what I had on hand which was Mercury 2 stroke synthetic blend for oil injected direct fuel injected outboards, A little pricey :roll: .

Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”