This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Cub Clutch

Postby jpate831 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:37 am

I have a '47 Cub I restored a few years ago. Recently, I've started having issues with the gears grinding a little when I shift from neutral to anything. I can start it in gear with the clutch pressed down with no issues. I can shift from one gear to another with no issues. But if I let it run in neutral with the clutch out for any length of time, I'm going to grid a gear when I try to shift. I put a new clutch and pressure plate on when I restored it. Do you think I need to adjust something, or do I have some other problem?

Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Clutch

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Thinking pilot shaft bushing needs lubrication.

Search function, top of page, look for pilot shaft bushing lubrication. There should be a couple of tips on how to lubricate the bushing without splitting the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Depending on how long you are waiting between pushing the pedal down and trying to put it in a gear you may not have a problem. It takes a couple seconds for the driveshaft to stop spinning once the clutch is pressed, even more if you have the RPM's up. Engage the PTO and watch the PTO shaft at idle, it will be turning at the exact same speed as the drive shaft. If the PTO shaft is still turning after holding the clutch down for five seconds (actually timed or count one Mississippi, two Mississippi, etc.) then you probably have a dry pilot bushing as Eugene stated. Otherwise you're most likely rushing to shift on a non synchronized transmission.

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby LRiddle » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm

Here is a pretty good thread on the topic. I need to try this trick myself.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65053&p=530560&hilit=Pilot+shaft+bushing+lubrication
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:52 pm

If you installed a new pilot bearing it may be too tight. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing. After I got the tractor back together, I could not select any gear from neutral, without grinding the gears. I reduced the clutch free travel to zero and still could not get the gears to stop. With the engine off and rear PTO engaged, I noticed I could turn the rear PTO shaft very easily by hand after depressing the clutch pedal only half way, so the clutch was releasing and not causing the drag. The only thing left was the new pilot bearing which seemed to have enough clearance with the clutch alignment tool. I also soaked the bearing in engine oil for one day and applied grease to the shaft end before putting the tractor back together. I decided to “wear in” the pilot bearing. I figured it would take a few hours and did not want to put a load on the throw out bearing, and crankshaft bearing with the clutch depressed and the engine running. I rotated the main shaft with an electric motor driving the PTO pulley that I use for my C3 mower (see attached photo--I had trouble with download--I thought I could download and imbed the pic--I guess you can click and open it). I kept the clutch depressed by wrapping a tow rope around the front axle cross member and hooking it to the clutch pedal. With the pulleys I used, the shaft speed was 1100 RPM. About every hour, I checked to see if the gears would still grind when shifting from neutral. After about 5 hours of “wear in”, I could depress the clutch, wait a few seconds and shift from neutral to any gear with no grinding.

John M.
Clutch6.pdf
(174.57 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”