This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trouble Shooting Cub Will Not TURN or Start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mdavis7578
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27883
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

1976 Massey Ferguson 165 Gas

Trouble Shooting Cub Will Not TURN or Start

Postby mdavis7578 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 am

Is there a listing of numbers for a meter to test current? By now, you know this is a novice. But knowing what to expect and what is required for normal operation on various parts as starter, magneto, distributor, battery, and other vital components would be helpful. I have a voltmeter and need to know the difference between AC and DC and Ohms! Are amps more dangerous than volts? Is there any information relative to this need?

We put new plugs (.23) and points and the tractor started and ran well. We started it again and it cranked immediately. We left. I came back later to enjoy the fruit of our labors, and the tractor was dead as a door nail. It failed to turn, crank, make a whisper, or anything. When I pulled the switch, smoke came from the positive post of the battery. I thought how odd! It's as if the tractor is DOA. I have had the tractor for 15 years and this is the first time this has ever happened. The battery is charged but nothing happens.

Puzzled, perplexed and suffering from a lack of profundity :lost:

MD

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

raystractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Trouble Shooting Cub Will Not TURN or Start

Postby raystractors » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:14 am

It sounds like you need to clean the connections. The starter requires several amps to work.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:38 am

:Dito: Agree with raystractors. You are probably experiencing a poor electrical connection caused by dirty battery posts/connectors/wiring somewhere between the battery and the starter. Check them all, they need to be bright shiny clean to work properly. Also check the ground cable, both ends and make sure it is connected to a clean point on the tractor chassis frame, like a transmission cover bolt. The starter grounds through the frame to the battery so don't overlook the starter housing too. You might want to take it off and wire brush the case and connecting points where it bolts to the tractor. Not to be redundant, but you can't get the electrical connections too clean. If this all produces no satisfactory results, check the starter switch that is mounted on the starter for burned contact surfaces. This will require removing and disassembling the switch. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

mdavis7578
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27883
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

1976 Massey Ferguson 165 Gas

Postby mdavis7578 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks guys. Shiny clean. Roger Wilco. I will try that next. I am suspecting a starter switch though.

MD

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:54 am

Cubs starters along with most of the old Ih ones are known for the starter binding against the flywheel ring gear teeth when they get old. Can you turn the engine by hand? If not try loosening both the starter mounting bolts about a turn each and try turning the engine again. Once the engine will turn, the starter will work if that was the problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Sailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:12 pm

I have a voltmeter and need to know the difference between AC and DC and Ohms!

AC means Alternating Current, which is what you use in your house. DC is what you use in your tractor. Ohms means Resistance, Amps is Current. Remember the formula P = IE Where P is Power/Watts, I is Current (amps) and E is Electricity.

Are amps more dangerous than volts?

Yes

We put new plugs (.23) and points and the tractor started and ran well. We started it again and it cranked immediately.
When I pulled the switch, smoke came from the positive post of the battery.

Do not try to crank it again until you find the source of your problem. Smoke means fire, your starter is drawing too much current (amps) and the smoke might be coming from the big, red cable coming from the battery. Since the only thing you have touched is the plugs and the distributer I'm thinking, like John, the problem is in the starter. Pull the starter and see if the solenoid spins freely. If so take it down to some place like Auto Zone and they will check it for nothing

Also, check in the distributor and make sure you didn't ground out the little black wire the comes into the distributor from the (+) side of the Coil.

Good luck.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Clean all connections as already stated. Your problem is probably the point that the smoke came from.

Other than the heavy connections from the battery to the starter, do not touch anything else until the engine turns over. If you get it turn over but still won't start, then you need to look at everything you messed with since it last ran.

Return to “Farmall Cub”