Belly mower belt-How tight?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Belly mower belt-How tight?

Postby larryfoster » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Sounds like those pulleys are a little expensive.
There is a Cub graveyard about 35 miles from me with acres of Cubs.
Should be able to find one there.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

larryfoster wrote:.....
I could move to the first hole and that would take some of the slack out and allow me to adjust the pulleys up a little to level out..........
On a Woods 42 changing the mounting holes won't change the belt length. That's why they are at an angle, as you move the deck up the holes from bottom to top, the distance from the PTO to the plane (horizontal) that the spindle pulley runs in gets shorter. At the same time, the distance from the spindle pulley to the plane (vertical) that PTO runs in gets longer by the same amount. Otherwise every time you changed mowing height you'd have to have a different belt. There is a difference between "mowing height", done by the location of which holes the arms are in versus raising and lowering the deck with the hydraulics.

The pulley has been pretty well covered but I haven't seen any mention of with the deck raised the tension comes off the belt. So If you are trying to mow tall stuff with the deck raised the belt will slip more than when it's down. Also when tightening a belt with the mule drive pulleys the deck needs to be horizontal. Tightening the belt when the deck is up and then lowering it will really stress the belt, PTO bearing, and mule drive pulleys.

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks, Scrivet, for that info

I don't have hydraulics, just a lifting bar.
You're right in that I was trying to mow with the deck lifted high.

I don't have a lot of room for up and down.
My bar is only moved two notches to put the skids on the ground.
When fully raised, the skids are, probably, less than 2" off the ground
For the first time today I noticed in the instructions that the skids should be off the ground.
I'm not very smart.

The tractor was bogging down when mowing and it makes sense now that I know there was excess drag.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue May 31, 2016 9:09 pm

larryfoster wrote:The tractor was bogging down when mowing and it makes sense now that I know there was excess drag.
The mower deck should also be adjusted so that the front end is tilted a bit lower than the rear. This also helps reduce the "drag" on the blade since the blade when at the rear of the deck will be slightly above the grass already cut. Stan

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Tue May 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks, stan.
Would I be using one of the higher or lower holes on the idler bracket?
Right now I'm in the second hole from the top

Not doubting you but I swear I read that the front should be higher

I just checked again on the 42 manual.
It said for shredding stalks (whatever they mean) adjust the attitude so the front is high.
Last edited by larryfoster on Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 pm

larryfoster wrote:.......
My bar is only moved two notches to put the skids on the ground.
When fully raised, the skids are, probably, less than 2" off the ground
Had a similar problem with one with a hand lift a couple years ago, ended up drilling another hole in one of the linkages. I never did investigate that much but I think it has something to do with the geometry of the manual lift versus the hydraulics because I took the mower off a tractor with hydraulics and it raised and lowered fine. I couldn't get it very far off the ground with the manual lift at first, but I could have used it for a plow with no problems. Both tractors had the same size tires.

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 pm

I looked today to see if there was a different way to mount the height adjustment and couldn't see any way

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am

larryfoster wrote:Thanks, stan.
Would I be using one of the higher or lower holes on the idler bracket?
Right now I'm in the second hole from the top
Not doubting you but I swear I read that the front should be higher
I just checked again on the 42 manual.
It said for shredding stalks (whatever they mean) adjust the attitude so the front is high.

I can't comment on the WAY to adjust the attitude but I think "shredding stalks" refers to cutting corn stalks in which case the front edge would be positioned as high as possible to knock down the standing residue to shred it. I believe on the other hand we're talking about mowing grass. In my original comment to "slightly lower" the front edge of the mower was based on my common sense interpretation of the following instructions and the fact that the "drag" of the blade on previously cut area coupled with the limitations of the hp of the C60 engine would further lower the performance, hence, "lower the front" slightly. Take a look at this page from the 154 Numbered Series LoBoy Mowers Manual, adjustment of height, middle of the page, left side. Click on the image to make it larger, ctrl + will also make it larger. Stan
height adjustment.JPG

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 am

Thanks, Stan.
I may be monkeying around with it some today

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:11 pm

I don't know if these pics will help to diagnose

This is fully raised
Full raiseda.jpg

Lifting arm attachment when fully raised

Mountinga.jpg

Idler pulleys
idler pulley a.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 pm

My standard Cub with hydraulics will pick the Woods 42 mower deck quite a bit higher than the photograph. The lift linkage on the right side of the tractor appears correct. Just guessing, the top of my deck is around 10" off the ground at full elevation.

Might take a look at the manual lift linkage/set up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:48 pm

The bottom of my skids when fully raised are, maybe, 2" off the ground.
I can only lower the bar one notch until the deck is fully on the ground.

I got it from a member here and it was on his Cub, but he had hydraulics.
I tried to figure out from the manual and there were a lot of different machines shown on that one page

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Photos of the manual lift set up and linkage. Perhaps someone will see/identify the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Here's the linkage.

linkage.jpg

LilCub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 30025
Tractors Owned: "Bessie" - 73' International Cub with Fast Hitch

Postby LilCub » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Never had a manual lift but seems like your rock shaft should be able to rotate further when lifting. Is there any way to adjust the rocks haft position in relation to the lever?