This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Still Mowing Ft Adams

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Still Mowing Ft Adams

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 pm

To the tune of 'Still crazy after all these years'.

Must say there are a few improvements along the way, hard to believe what the fort's Advance Redoubt looks like today. I was distraught the first time I mowed the place, poison ivy and other viney weeds were wrapping the knives on the Mott. Getting some stress cracks in the mower, but I have been hard on it and snagged a replacement (noisy!) that has the weak spots repaired.

Had a big group of people (220!!) on Sunday and was amazed at what got done. The International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike (IBTTA) and a couple of local youth groups did an amazing amount of work.
http://whatsupnewp.com/redoubt-fort-adams-reclaimed/ (right click and open in new tab)

I mowed 'my' part of the fort last Thursday and used my cheap push mower to mow the Redoubt Saturday before the crowd arrived. Had dueling DR mowers on the center parapet too (lifted in with a Lull. Always cut with brush cutters before).
Couple of pictures from a few years back to give you an idea...

York rake 2012

Second mow after seeding. 2012
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Still Mowing Ft Adams

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Larry, That's a nice article. Sounds like more work is still needed. I'm sure they appreciate your efforts.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri May 20, 2016 6:16 am

That was a lot of work done! Glad to see it. Appears to be a never-ending responsibility. Congrats to you and all the volunteers.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 am

Way better than last time I was there, Larry!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 20, 2016 7:56 am

Good job, Larry! Certainly a testament to what can be accomplished with both short-term and long-term volunteers can accomplish. Jo and I are going to New England this fall and will give strong consideration to visiting Fort Adams to see some of your handiwork.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri May 20, 2016 9:18 am

Bill Hudson wrote:Good job, Larry! Certainly a testament to what can be accomplished with both short-term and long-term volunteers can accomplish. Jo and I are going to New England this fall and will give strong consideration to visiting Fort Adams to see some of your handiwork.

Bill

Bill, the place is amazing! You should see the stone work, and the brick work, besides Larry's mowing. Fantastic construction.
Swing by here, I might just have a fresh baked muffin, or something, for you! (about 20 miles from the fort)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 20, 2016 12:08 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Swing by here, I might just have a fresh baked muffin, or something, for you! (about 20 miles from the fort)
Ed

Now that sounds inviting. We are early in the planning process so that a stop is certainly possible.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Fri May 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Looking good, Larry. If you're still in the mood to mow, come on over next time your up here. :D
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 am

Surely the Hudson's must have a first class pair of tours.... One by the official tour guide and one behind the scenes (unofficial yeller tractor guy guide). The Advance Redoubt and the fort are the height of military engineering and there is nothing like it in the world. The Redoubt is far more complex than any coastal fort in the country.

It is interesting that people who have lived here their whole lives have never seen or heard of the redoubt. Sort of hidden like a Mayan ruin in the jungle. There have been all manner of volunteer groups: Naval Supply School, Academy Prep School (NAPS), a 'chain gang' on community service, Naval Justice School, Salve Regina U., etc. Not to mention our own (very dedicated) group of regular volunteers. Especially our own ScotLem!

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. Thanks for the invite.... but I do have a fair amount of mowing to do up that way too.

Bing has a cool thing called 'birds eye' view. From 4 angles (rotate lower right), pretty interesting.

http://binged.it/25jIFCP
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”