This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Oil Seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Red Rooster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13317
Tractors Owned: '58 Cub Lo-Boy
'52 Super C
'43 H

Rear Oil Seal

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:15 pm

I need to replace my crankshaft rear oil seal. Back in July there was a thread on this that recommended using some kind of sealer (permatex black) for fixing the seal to the retainer. My shop manual says that on "earlier models" (whatever that means - I have a 58 Loboy) you need to get a new retainer when you replace the seal. My question - is the use of a sealer like permatex black a substitute for getting the new style retainer? If I get a new retainer do I need to use a sealer? Shop manual doesn't say anything about using a sealer. Or are retainers even available?

Thanks
Red Rooster
(Eric Trahan)
58 Cub Lo Boy
52 Super C
43 H

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:22 pm

The sealant is an option to getting an new retainer. The retainers are quite pricey. Somewhere around $100 I believe. A little permatex goes a long way.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:53 pm

I purchased the new style seal retainer #251363R2 in 1983, cost $53.13 then. :shock: The rear crank seal let go in Dec. 04 slipping out to where it was rubbing against the flywheel. I installed a new seal in May 05. The new seal was thinner then the old seal, allowing it to seat farther into the seal retainer flange. I could still push it almost completely in with just my fingers. I applied a coat of Permatex HIGH-TACK, let it sit overnight, then applied another coat. I then coated the seal to crank surface with a small amount of gun grease, and then seated the seal into the flange. I then staked the flange in four places, and applied another liberal coat of Permatex HIGH-TACK over the back edge of the seal letting it lap well over onto the aluminum flange, being careful not to get any on the crankshaft surface. I let this dry overnight again before proceeding with installing the flywheel, and putting the tractor back together. So far it has not leaked. :D
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:19 pm

Guys:

Any one want to volunteer for a short demonstration/stutorial/how to article on staking? I haven't got a clue what it is, heard the term, but do not know what that means.

I imagine many of us would benefit by learning this procedure....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Hit it with a punch or chisel. Not enough to destroy it but enough distort it slightly to hol in place or fit better. Some body will come along with a scientific explaination but basically it is to slightly deform the part or it's holder.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”