This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

quick hitch down pressure

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tim B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26588

quick hitch down pressure

Postby Tim B » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 am

Hello, sorry if I wrote this twice. I just joined this site last night and I wrote a question but cant find it, so here it goes again..... Anyway, I have a 1959 cub w/ quick hitch and when I lower it, it has downward pressure. It would raise the back end up I believe if my tires weren't loaded w/ wheel weights. I have read somewhere there isn't suppose to be downward pressure. Is there something wrong here? Also I have a problem when it gets hot the quick hitch gets locked in the up position until I shut it off to cool, then it frees itself. Thank you for any help. Tim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: quick hitch down pressure

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 am

FH+mule drive2.JPG
Is this what you are referring to as quick hitch? If so, it's supposed to have down pressure. As for locking up there was a post within the last couple of days about this, maybe a screen or valve in the TC that might be the problem. Try the search function to find more information.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun May 15, 2016 10:01 am

Yes to the down pressure. The Cub Service Manual TC troubleshooting procedure includes a down-pressure test (where the tech measures the pressure in the system). Have you consulted the service manuals? Use the PDF Manuals link above.
Trent McPeak

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Where is the locking collar set on the lift rod! Lift should be able to float except under certain conditions.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Follow the lift rod down the left side of the tractor to behind the left rear fender where it connects to the fast hitch "rockshaft." There you will find the locking collar on the lift rod. If it is set tight against the trunnion (the cast T-shaped piece that connects the lift rod to the rockshaft), that is why you have down pressure. Loosen the lock collar and slide it toward the front several inches to disable down pressure.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi,
The Touch Control system is double acting, it has power lifting, and power lowering.
I don't know what you mean that it gets stuck.
The system needs the fluid checked, and changed after a few years. It has to have fluid to work right. It should be full to the filler plug hole with the arms in the rear position.
If the fluid hasn't been changed in years, it could probably use a change.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing the stop collar, it is labeled in the pic. The manual says it should be set ahead 6 inches on the rod so plows can float freely up and down. A disc needs to float too, my opinion. You can damage the rod bending it, if you try to push down on plows to make them go in the ground.
For something like a 2 wheeled trailer, you might need to move the collar to the rear to prevent the trailer tongue and hitch from raising up when backing up with the trailer. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2019.jpg

Tim B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26588

Postby Tim B » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, son has soccer, soccer, soccer, scouts, scouts..... I cant remember where I read that someone wanted to convert his cub to have down pressure and someone replied it would be too much work. I see now that there is a spacer and a locking collar that is adjusted all the back that's not allowing mine to float. Thanks again for that. ON the fast hitch getting stuck in the up position, I haven't figured that one out yet. I guess a rebuild of the valving. When the tractor gets hot and I'm plowing, the hydraulics lock in the up position when I raise it and wont release until it cools. It will even load the engine down when I try and lower the plows, so I know the pump is working. I have changed the oil maybe 10-15 hours of use since I bought it used w/ the recommended oil. I do have a manual and I have to hook a gauge to it as soon as I get a free day and it's not raining. Thanks again everyone, I'll think of more issues for ya's.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am

You're welcome! BTDT using down pressure instead of weight for pressure. Eventually d
broke lift rod using pick up drag harrow long after I learned to listen collar.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”