This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission noise in 2nd and 3rd gear.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fishcop 126
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12722
Tractors Owned: International 240 Utility (restored it and sold it years ago, wish I still had it!)
74 Kubota L-260
49 Cub "Mater"
53 Cub "Polly"
48 Cub parts tractor.

Transmission noise in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Postby fishcop 126 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 am

I'm restoring a 1949 Cub and have encountered a clanging noise in 2nd and 3rd gear while in motion. No noise in 1st or reverse. When I had the tractor apart I flushed the transmission and differential with diesel fuel 3 times until all of the gunk came out and then put in new 90w. The clanging doesn't seem to affect the forward motion of the tractor. I've posted a short video to youtube of the noisy condition. Any hints or assistance will be welcomed!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Transmission noise in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 14, 2016 9:45 am

the you tube link does not work for me, but the clanging in 2nd and 3rd would possibly indicate a problem with the shifting fork. Loose, bent, or broken. That will be the fork on the left side of the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 14, 2016 10:18 am

I fixed the youtube link.

fishcop 126
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: International 240 Utility (restored it and sold it years ago, wish I still had it!)
74 Kubota L-260
49 Cub "Mater"
53 Cub "Polly"
48 Cub parts tractor.

Postby fishcop 126 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:59 am

I'll take a look at that. When I got the tractor it was a rust bucket but the shifter/transmission cover was yellow and appeared to have been changed at some point. Thanks for the information, I'll let you know if that was the issue!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 14, 2016 9:04 pm

After listening to the You Tube, my first idea still seems reasonable. A broken tooth on a gear would be a possibility, but on 2 gears highly unlikely. Might try jacking it up and see what it sounds like with both wheels off the ground. You can block the clutch and put pto in gear to turn the shaft. It almost sounds like a piece of metal stuck between the teeth of one of the gears.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

fishcop 126
5+ Years
5+ Years
74 Kubota L-260
49 Cub "Mater"
53 Cub "Polly"
48 Cub parts tractor.

Postby fishcop 126 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks John, That will be something I'll look at. I did look at the gears that I could see when I had the shifter cover off. Didn't see anything broken but I didn't completely disassemble the transmission. I will check the shifter fork assembly first and go from there.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun May 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Am I right in thinking that 2nd and 3rd gear share a shaft that 1st and Reverse do not use? I would look first explicitly at that shaft.
I would:
- Block up one back wheel off the ground
- Take the cover off the transmission
- Tie or block the clutch pedal fully depressed
- Put in second or third gear
- Spin by hand the wheel that is in the air
- Observe and listen for anything unusual going on in the transmission.

It seems like whatever is going on should be readily apparent with the top off.
Caveat: I have never been into a cub transmission personally, so this is offered with in the spirit of adventure and exploration. If the top is off the transmission, does that pull the shift forks out? Dunno. Probably. If so, you'll have to manually hold it in gear with a screwdriver or something while someone else spins the wheel.

It's strange that the noise should pop up after doing nothing more that flushing the gunk out. May a broken gear tooth was suspended in the gunk safely out of the way, but now it is free to move around and is touching something it shouldn't? I will be very curious to see what you find.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun May 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:Am I right in thinking that 2nd and 3rd gear share a shaft that 1st and Reverse do not use? I would look first explicitly at that shaft.

All gears ride the same upper input shaft and same lower countershaft.

Caveat: I have never been into a cub transmission personally, so this is offered with in the spirit of adventure and exploration. If the top is off the transmission, does that pull the shift forks out? Dunno. Probably. If so, you'll have to manually hold it in gear with a screwdriver or something while someone else spins the wheel.

Pulling the shifter cover will not remove the shifter forks. To switch gears with the cover off will require a large screwdriver or small prybar and they should stay in that position (detent) until forced back to neutral.

Did the transmission have this noise before restoration? Without any other information, I agree with John, look for a bent/cracked/misaligned second/third shifter fork.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon May 16, 2016 3:10 pm

If you didn't leave a crescent wrench in there I'd go with John also…. :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Sounds like my Super A. The only reason I don't do anything to fix it is because I know that its a chip in my oiler gear. Meaning: its non essential.

That being said, I'd have to agree with John, you may have a chip in a gear or worst case scenario a broken tooth.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

fishcop 126
5+ Years
5+ Years
74 Kubota L-260
49 Cub "Mater"
53 Cub "Polly"
48 Cub parts tractor.

Postby fishcop 126 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Yes Ray Durban, it was noisy before restoration, I only ran it briefly before I started working on it and I thought flushing the gunk out of the transmission might have solved it but it didn't. And thanks to all for the good suggestions of things to consider. I'm a handy guy but by no means a mechanic.

Return to “Farmall Cub”