This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 Volt Conversion

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David Terry
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38464

12 Volt Conversion

Postby David Terry » Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 pm

My generator was putting out next to nothing and I had already invested in two voltage regulators and still couldn't keep the battery up. So I decided to convert to 12 volts. I ordered a small alternator that puts out about 58 amps and the mounting bracket from Ebay. When on easy as pie and it was the best decision I've made with the cub. It may not be authentic, but it works a lot better and makes the tractor a lot more dependable. While I had the hood off ( worst part of the job) I set my valves. I don't know how I got them so far off, but the engine runs smooth as silk now. I have 10 antique tractors and one working girl, and I've had more fun with the cub than any of the rest. I recommend 12 volts for anyone not looking for absolute authenticity.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 12 Volt Conversion

Postby Eugene » Sun May 08, 2016 6:11 pm

David Terry wrote:I recommend 12 volts for anyone not looking for absolute authenticity.
Yup. Agree. I have converted all my 6 volt tractors to 12 volt alternator. They are all working tractors, so I don't care if they are correct police correct.

Only had to replace one 12 volt alternator in 15 plus years. And that alternator came with the tractor so I don't know how old it was.
I have an excuse. CRS.

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby rexxon » Mon May 09, 2016 3:49 am

Just put on the Brillman conversion this weekend, did everything wiring harness, mini alternator, right down to the light bulbs from them it all went together without a hitch good folks to deal with. But I would not expect anything less from people of Western Virginia :||): always my favorite place to vacation.

SouthernOutlaw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Mon May 09, 2016 4:33 am

I understand that there are many 6 volt systems that work perfect every day, just as there are thousands of tractors running running points and condenser that people never have a problem with. The cost of a 6 volt generator for a cub is around $250.00 rebuilt. A 12 volt conversion cost less than $90.00. Now I have rebuilt more than a few generator for different engines that I want to keep original, but for all the working equipment I have owned I convert to 12 volt if possible. Same with the ignition system. Maybe it's just me but I cannot find good reliable points, or condensors even from NAPA anymore. I received.the Petronix ignition number 15 this past Friday for a Ford n that I got several weeks ago.

COAG
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06492

Postby COAG » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Where can I find information on the Brillman Conversion setup mentioned in the post and approximately how much time did it take to convert

Return to “Farmall Cub”