This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transplanter to Fast With Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Transplanter to Fast With Cub

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri May 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Hooked mine up was going to try it with tomatoes. It's faster than I think I can go and I've set tobacco before. Had the cub as slow as I could go. Here's a video I took of it in action:
http://youtu.be/_3ZPLAYq418

raystractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transplanter to Fast With Cub

Postby raystractors » Fri May 06, 2016 8:32 pm

It doesn't seem that fast to me. If you have two people on the planter I think it could be done. We grew burley years ago and the space between plants was about 20" that will make you pay attention. After a couple of hours you get in a rhythm.

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Sat May 07, 2016 5:56 am

We use a two row MT2000 among other planters for planting nursery stock. Honestly I think one good person could handle that pace. The key is how the liners are arranged -- must be for easy one handed grab ergonomic for placing them in the pocket. Usually a new person gets the hang of it in a few thousand plants or they get to walk behind the planter and straighten things up :(
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat May 07, 2016 8:16 am

If you have 2 good droppers it will be fine. We plant about 12,000 hills of sweet taters spaced at 12 inches and do fine. The fingers are traveling much faster than those are. But you have to have good people on the planter. Dont think you are going to get it done with inexperienced droppers
boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

pan60
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: A Farmall 100 Ford 8N, six Farmall Cub's, and two David Bradley walk behinds, and a un-know walk behind.

Postby pan60 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't plat a lot but my wife was able to keep up with mine and the cub planting tomatoes.
Used the 8 tooth sprockets dropping every other one and peppers every one.
If she missed one she just dropped a plant and when back and hand planted it.
My tomatoes and peppers are closer then I like so next year or this fall I will use different drive sprockets to space things out more.
pan60.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 am

Super A's, 100's, 130's, 140's used a device called a "HydroCreeper" to back-drive the transmission through the PTO shaft to achieve slower speeds. A hydraulic motor driven off the touch control is belted/chained to the PTO shaft, and the tractor is put in gear. The motor is set to turn at very slow RPMs, pushing the tractor along at speeds far slower than you can get normally.

Only caveat is the clutch pedal has to be tied down for it to work. That will burn up the graphite throwout bearing on a Cub in short order.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Super A's, 100's, 130's, 140's used a device called a "HydroCreeper" to back-drive the transmission through the PTO shaft to achieve slower speeds. A hydraulic motor driven off the touch control is belted/chained to the PTO shaft, and the tractor is put in gear. The motor is set to turn at very slow RPMs, pushing the tractor along at speeds far slower than you can get normally.

Only caveat is the clutch pedal has to be tied down for it to work. That will burn up the graphite throwout bearing on a Cub in short order.

Very few were ever sold because of their expense. There is an article in Red Power about a similar device that drove a shaft from the front of the engine which turned the PTO shaft to give a slow speed. Most people just "manned up" and learned how to drop plants.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022