This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Headlights, and Headlight gaskets

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Headlights, and Headlight gaskets

Postby Soldner » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:48 pm

I purchased new headlight gaskets from A&I corporation, and i'm not having any luck getting them to fit into the grooves.. Anyone have any suggestions.. My other question is, i tried the headlights, and i cant get them to work closed up (glass on), but i can make them work when i use a jumper wire from the reflector to the positive turminal. Is that thin piece not making contact? or what are people's thoughts.. thanks so much.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 pm

Soldner, someone on the board mentioned using old windshield wiper blade rubber as a gasket. Said it worked well.

Your problem with operation appears to be a poor ground. You can clean up the contact surfaces or connect a short internal ground wire from the reflector to the light housing.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Thanks so much Bigdog... I really apprieciate it..

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 pm

Soldner,
The gaskets are hard to install at best. I used black electrical tape to hold them in place untill I got the thing back together. You can then trim the tape off the glass or open up the light in a few weeks after the gasket has some "memory" and is more likely to stay in place. As BigDog said the not lighting is a grounding issue. Make sure the reflector is contacting good with the bulb and with the headlight housing. If you painted the tractor make sure the light assy is now making good electrical contact with the post and the post the tractor hood where they screw into the hood. All these places can cause the lights not to light.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:56 pm

Bigdog wrote:Soldner, someone on the board mentioned using old windshield wiper blade rubber as a gasket. Said it worked well.

I was the one who used the old wiper-blade rubber and it worked out great for me. __ There are 2-styles of gaskets, Are you sure they sent you the correct gaskets for your lights :?:
Then came Bronson

wilfreeman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wilfreeman » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:56 pm

Soldner, have you got the contact info for the A&I Corp. or other distributors for the headlight gaskets? I just pulled mine off to beadblast, paint and rebuild - need new gaskets.
I made an electrolisys tank out of a 5 gallon sheetrock mud bucket to try before I built a fullsize one - works GREAT. I've cleaned the toolbox, mower pulley, and a few odds and ends over the past 2 days. It just amazes me how it takes the paint off and the rust down to 'gray' metal. I guess it's time to 'upgrade' to a bigger tank now that I see how well it works!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Last time I checked, the headlight gaskets were still available from Case/IH. Check with your local dealer.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 pm

brandon:

The gaskets are still available from CaseIH. Bermuda Ken should be able to give you the correct part nubmer for your unit. You should be able to get the correct part number also from the parts catalog on the server.

The ones I got from CaseIH fit perfectly, as well they should :!: :lol:

However, getting them, the lens and the ring all back together with the body of the light - well now that is how do they say "a completely different matter" :roll: :shock: :oops: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 am

Well Thanks everyone for your help...
i purchased some from A&I and they should fit, they are just thick where they should fit between the reflector body and the actual light housing.. I'll make them work! :twisted:

I wish i would have just went to Case/IH.. I was there on Saturday, and purchased the headlight spacer i was missing for $8 and also the battery box front ($10).. Thanks everyone for all your help.. (When i get the cub done, i'll be sure to put some pictures of it up..)

Brandon

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:36 am

I used storm screen spline on mine. Perfect fit and the lenses seem to be pretty happy.

My two cents.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”