This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

woods 59 or any woods question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853
Circle of Safety: Y

woods 59 or any woods question

Postby rexxon » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 am

My Woods mower on my Cub cuts real good, use it around my garden and in yard when needed but the caster wheels jump around alot in this soft sandy pine shat ground I have. Wondering if any one had ever changed the hard casters for soft air filled ones like on newer mowers. My F725 John Deere has the mower out front and the weight of mower on soft tires and does great over same ground.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: woods 59 or any woods question

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed May 04, 2016 10:26 am

The caster wheels are not meant to support the mower while mowing. The mower should hang from the bracketry or chains with the wheels just a little off the ground. Their function is to prevent the mower from bottoming out from the ups and downs of rougher ground.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853

Postby rexxon » Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Thats what I always thought, but in the owners manual it says that cut height is set by caster wheels (if equipped) and to leave slack in lifting chain a to allow mower to follow contour of the ground. Remember this is not me saying this but Woods. So to me that means that the mower is suppose to rest its weight on the caster wheels

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed May 04, 2016 8:38 pm

rexxon wrote:Thats what I always thought, but in the owners manual it says that cut height is set by caster wheels (if equipped) and to leave slack in lifting chain a to allow mower to follow contour of the ground. Remember this is not me saying this but Woods. So to me that means that the mower is suppose to rest its weight on the caster wheels

I stand corrected. My experience is with the IH (Danco) mowers and their manual instructions. Thought it was universal. :surrender:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”