HARD STARTING

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ub54
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47974

Re: HARD STARTING

Postby ub54 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Did what you said Eugene and everything was right. I've done all the work on my 2 cubs myself but I'm getting mad at this one. Been thinking about grinding the valves bit I don't have a spring compressor , how much of a job is it? But I'm not sure thats the problem.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm

I still think your main problem is ignition related.

To grind the valves you need to remove the head and valve cover. Depending on the valve spring compressor you will probably have to remove the manifold. One of the least expensive valve spring compressors is from Sears. Search this site for valve spring compressors.

You can adjust the valve tappet clearance by removing the valve cover. This is where I would start, check and adjust the valve tappet clearance.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ub54
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby ub54 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah I've done that only had #4 off a tad . I think it's in the ignition/timing too but this ones got me. I've had the head off my other one , thats no problem . You may not have read my previous posts but is it possible to rotate the mag while its running . Another ? , if the coil gets hot might that cause a poor spark ?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi,
It is common on Cubs for the coil to not work right when it warms up. Especially the old original coil. The engine runs bad, or doesn't have power. Some of them stop completely, I have read on here. The spark gets weak when the coil warms up. Check the spark when the engine warms up, whenever the engine doesn't run right. If the spark is weak when it warms up, the coil needs replacing.
You will have to ask Eugene about turning the magneto with the engine running, I don't have a magneto. :)

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm

You may not have read my previous posts but is it possible to rotate the mag while its running.

If you mean rotate to fine tune the timing with a timing light, then yes. It's done by loosening the two mounting bolts until the mag can be moved by hand.
The bottom bolt hole on the mag is a slot, so make sure that is clear before you make adjustments.

ub54
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby ub54 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 pm

I'll give it a go in the morning ,and I'm ordering a new coil too . I'll get back in a couple days. Thanks again guys

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 am

Hi,
I meant my post above as something to consider and check. The coil might not be bad. It would be good to know if the coil is good or bad. I would suggest you drive the Cub around until it runs bad, and then check the spark and see if it is blue, or looks weak. :)

ub54
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby ub54 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 am

That's what makes me think it's the coil . Longer I run it , the less power it has . Either way it's gonna get a new coil because I can't remember if I changed it when I got it 4 yrs ago. My other Cub runs so smooth you can barely hear it and I did have to change that coil . Worse part is I need it running to get ready for weekend but that's not gonna happen. thanx again and again