This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Regulator versus Cutout on a 1949 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevenforehand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27921

Regulator versus Cutout on a 1949 Cub

Postby stevenforehand » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 am

Hi All!

I'm diving into my newly acquired 1949 cub. The lights are not working an the battery is not charging. Part of this issue is a bad light switch (which I have a replacement). However, i was noticing the generator has a regular mounted on top with 3 terminals on front and one under it. It seems it is not wired correctly as the last terminal on the left does not have a wire attached.

My question is can I replace the regulator and rewire the tractor according to the diagrams found on this site? All the wires probably need replacing so a rewire is in order in any case.

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Regulator versus Cutout on a 1949 Cub

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Check the unattached regulator terminal. There will be a stamped letter on the terminal. L indicates load and is the same as the B, battery terminal. Some Cub wiring schemes used and some didn't use the "L" terminal.

Consider a 12 volt single wire alternator. Search function, above. Lots of posted topics on the subject.
I have an excuse. CRS.

stevenforehand
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27921

Postby stevenforehand » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:12 pm

It does have an L on the far left terminal of the regulator.

The tractor has been rewired at some point but needs a rewire as there are some wires in bad shape. I guess my question is can I completely rewire the tractor using the new light switch and new voltage regulator? I have a spool of 12 gauge solid wire. I see most like to use 10 gauge. Would 12 solid wire be too light?

Also, you mentioned an alternator. Is there such a thing as a 6v alternator as a direct replacement of the generator or do I have to go full 12 volt conversion (which I'd prefer not to do)?

Thanks!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 pm

I would use 10 gauge multi-strand wire through out. But, 12 gauge multi-strand would suffice for some applications on the Cub.

Alternator. Yes there are 6 volt alternators. If you haven't done so, read the numerous topics on conversion to a single wire 12 volt alternator.

The other day I paid $79.23 for a voltage regulator for a narrow framed Cub Cadet, combination starter/generator. $79.23 is almost twice what I paid for a 12 volt single wire alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Before you get too carried away polarize the generator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

karlibob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03609
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Postby karlibob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:42 pm

What is the difference between a cut out and a voltage regulator?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:13 pm

karlibob wrote:What is the difference between a cut out and a voltage regulator?
A cut out has a single relay in it to disconnect the battery from the generator when engine stops, or when generator stops charging. The charge rate (for Farmalls) is controlled by a high Lo charge setting on the light switch through the F terminal of the generator. A regulator has either 2 or 3 coils depending on it's application and controls the charge itself, dependent on battery voltage. Farmall cutouts have 3 terminals with the F terminal normally only used on stationary engines. A regulator has 4 terminals with the F term connecting to the F of the generator to control charge rate
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:55 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
karlibob wrote:. . . Farmall cutouts have 3 terminals with the F terminal normally only used on stationary engines. . . .

F terminal is also used on tractors with starters but no lights.

Return to “Farmall Cub”