This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle mower mount and serial number tag

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
yesmar74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46176

Sickle mower mount and serial number tag

Postby yesmar74 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:03 am

Hi everyone . I was raised on a farm in central IN. in the 50s and 60s on farmalls but never had a Cub. I joined this site a few weeks back and I have just been lurking and reading a lot. This is an awesome site with a wealth of knowledgeable members and information . I have recently, bought 2 cubs. One is a 59 out of Florida which doesn't seem to have been used much at all. It has the fast hitch and everything seems to be hardly use. (other than the touch control seems to need rebuilding) My question is, can I mount a sickle mower the same way as if the tractor had no fast hitch? It seems just looking at the pto mount for the mower that maybe something else is needed?
My other Cub I bought is a 49 and has an ID tag with painted numbers for the serial number instead of being stamped. I've looked at available info. and I haven't seen anything like it. What's up with that? Any help is appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle mower mount and serial number tag

Postby danovercash » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:27 am

Pictures would be helpful. Should be able to mount mower on fast hitch tractor (see below). Find casting codes (not part numbers), and engine serial number.
If necessary, click on # 21.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2021.jpg
More info:
http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm
Last edited by danovercash on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am

You might find some information on the mower mounting at this link to attachments at the manuals tab at the top of this page: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/downloa ... Mowers.pdf As far as the painted SN tag, not sure what's going on with it but you can check TM website for a list of casting codes and get the engine SN then compare the information with Raymond's database information (located in his post at the first page of this forum). Probably best to get as many casting codes as you can find to see which one is the dominant one as parts do get changed and the casting codes (not the part numbers) will be different. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:07 am

Hi,
IH made the Cub 22 mower to be used with a Fast Hitch also. But it depends on the age of your mower too. The mowers made for use with a Fast Hitch, 1954 and after, have a slightly different rear bracket than mowers made before there were Fast Hitches. They are cut off some on the bottom of the mounting. Here are pics below.
Also you need a spacer the size and thickness of the one welded on the top rear mounting hole, with a 5/8 inch hole in the middle of it. IH used the spacer, it was part of a kit of parts to put the mower on a Cub with a Fast Hitch. You just hold the spacer in place, at the bottom hole, and put the bolt in, no welding.

If your Cub has not had much use, the Touch Control might still be good.
They have to have fluid to work right. If it doesn't work at all, it may be low on fluid. You should check the fluid level first, before taking it apart.
The Touch Control fluid has to be checked and the air removed a certain way. Here are pages below from a Cub owner's manual.
The first page shows where the filler plug is, and the 2nd page shows the drain plug, and tells how to fill, and remove the air from the system. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4. The arms should move after filling it to the filler hole the first time and running the engine. They need to go through their full range of travel 10 - 12 times like it says, to remove the air, especially if you have drained the system, and changed the fluid.
Be sure to stop the engine with them in the rear or down position the last time, before filling it the last time, or you will overfill the system.
Case IH Hy-Tran fluid is the best for it.
Click on the manual pics makes them bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-65.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-67.jpg
Attachments
Mower.jpg
Mower 2.jpg

yesmar74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby yesmar74 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 am

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. I tried to post a picture of the i.d. tag but I just can't get it, so moving on to the touch control. I have already drained, refilled with Hy-Tran and bled the system until I'm blue in the face. Here's what goes on. The fast hitch will raise up and go down fine, ( with no load), but when I stand on the fast hitch- the engine has to be revved up to lift my 220 pound weight. As the hitch tries to maintain full lift ( me on the hitch) it goes down ever so slightly then jerks back up to maintain the lifted setting, and will do so over and over until I get off. And I have to keep the hydraulic lever in the full up position or it puts an extra load on the engine. Sounds as if oil is by-passing in the TC block. It just seems to me there must be a bad o-ring or 2 in the TC unit. Also with engine NOT running , hitch in full up position I can stand on the hitch and it will go all the way down. I have already received a seal and gasket set from TM parts. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:54 am

There are 2 different kits, make sure you have the right one.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:31 am

Welcome to the forum. As you are finding out, this Is the best place to get any info you need to keep your Cub going. I see you are around Shelbyville. You may want to mark your calendar for June 3rd and 4th for the Barnyard Bash in Harison Ohio. It is a fun Cubfest where you will meet many of the members of this forum as well as learn much about Cubs and their upkeep. Check out http://www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

yesmar74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby yesmar74 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm

I have the mower mount figured out. I did see when ordering there were two kits available and I did get the correct seal kit . Thanks Mike :D ,
Does it sound like I'm on the right track with the T.C. ?
Thanks for the invite Barnyard. I have been looking at some of the pictures and reading. Looks like fun. Have to see what's going on around that time. Not far away from Shelbyville for sure.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi,
Thanks for describing the problem with the Touch Control. It sounds like it has a bad o-ring, or leaking valve inside the unit. You are probably right, try rebuilding it and see if it works again.
When you take it apart, also look closely for a scratched or scarred valve, or other metal parts that look rough. They need smoothing, or replacing.
Clean the fluid strainer in the bottom of the unit, or replace it if the screen has fallen apart.
The Touch Control experts may have more ideas than I do about what is wrong with it. :)

yesmar74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby yesmar74 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks everybody, I'll let you know the rest of the story when I get to it.

yesmar74
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby yesmar74 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:21 pm

I got the touch control block all resealed and all works as it should. Great day. :beer:

Return to “Farmall Cub”