This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crazy Plan Works Out

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Crazy Plan Works Out

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:16 pm

Several months ago a friend and I got into a heated discussion on alternative energy. We both utilize both solar and wind to generate electricity and help heat our homes. I use wind to generate juice, and passive solar to heat, both space and water. He uses both to generate electricity. I continually argue that it is best to use the energy source as is, wind to create motion, sun to create heat. It is the conversion from one type of energy to another that wastes energy. Anyway, during the course of the arguement/discussion my friend said that he could generate hydrogen with his solar panels and use it to drive his lawn tractor. He then made the comment, "I'd like to see you run your Cub with wind power!"
I took up the challenge. I have coupled a homemade wind turbine to the PTO shaft on my Cub. I have it geared down about 3 to 1, belt driven, 3 rotations of the turbine blade = 1 rotation of the PTO output shaft.
With the PTO engaged, the tractor in first gear, and the clutch disengaged, the tractor does drive, entirely powered by wind, albeit slowly.
I have a wind driven Cub! When the PTO is disengaged the Cub operates normally, but I have to put a brake on the turbine for fear of it overrunning in a strong breeze with no load on it.
Am I going to damage the PTO or transmission operating it this way? I know that the PTO shaft wasn't designed as an input shaft. I'd like to post some pics of it in action, but I have some plans for this thing and don't want to give up my design secrets just yet. Any opinions?
Do not be too meek or timid in your actions, all of life is an experiment, the more you make the better.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:24 pm

Made Scientist, I think it will work fine. I've been starting "Harley" through the pto and to my knowledge, all tractors can be pulled with a chain and started by putting them in gear and letting the clutch out which is starting them through the transmission etc. Gas just hit over $3.00 a gallon so this idea doesn't sound crazy at all to me. Keep us posted and show us some pics. Rick(billyandmillie)
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:01 pm

I wouldn't want to pull a plow powering the cub off the pto due to the coupling that connects it to the driveshaft, but just driving it around shouldn't create a problem unless the pto shifter is aobut to go anyway. i would think that if you replced the belt drive with a chain you would improve your effiency quite a bit.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:10 am

Right now I'm using a Gates polychain, it has relatively low drag, but a chain would work well, I just had the stuff for the belt drive. I have a few more mods to make to the setup, including a brake for the turbine shaft, and a battery charger. It does plow, very slowly. The plan is to eventually set the whole thing up to plow a row, then using a rotary limit switch, stop and charge the battery. When it's time to turn it around I can either start the engine and turn it around, or use a small electric motor attached to the turbine shaft. The plan is to work the field when I'm not around.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:12 am

The first fully automated-solar-unattended-free-cub zapper what a wonderful idea, congratulations, you'll have to let us see it one day when you do not have to worry about copyright etc, look forward to it, again congrats, just a little question,
When your not there and the sun's been shining bright all day and the end of the field arrives what stops it, phase 2 of the developement?
Honestly I'm not laughing at you, I really think it's marvelous
Pat

MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 am

It is technically "solar" powered, as all winds are ultimately created by the warming effect of the sun 8) , but I would classify it technically as a "wind-powered, unattended, semi-automated, traction machine". I have already solved the problem of stopping it by using a rotary limit switch. A rotary limit works in a manner very similar to a clock, only it's counting revolutions instead of marking time. After a predetermined number of revolutions it acts upon something, be it an electric switch or a mechanical device. I will use it to activate a spring loaded brake to stop the turbine shaft. I plan on using it to plow 24 hours a day, whenever it's windy. I have even thought about adding a little radio pager that will call me when it's time to turn it around in the field. The guidance system will become alot more complicated than driving the Cub as I have found out, that will be Phase 2. :wink:

BillWms01
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BillWms01 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:54 pm

Mad, you've got to get some pics of this posted for us to see!
BillWms01
'48 Cub, Woods 42C Mower, Cub-144 Cultivators, Cub-22 Mower, Disc Breaking Plow, Belt-Drive for PTO.

MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:37 am

I promise you all I will post pics when I can. If I do it now it may spoil my plans for the tractor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”