This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's the risk factor of Cubs overturning backwards?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mike758
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342

What's the risk factor of Cubs overturning backwards?

Postby mike758 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:24 am

I know that a pretty big risk factor for the older tractors is overturning backwards, and I know that they make ROPS kits for the Ford 8N. However though, I haven't heard any stories of a Cub overturning and I see that there are no ROPS kits available for it. I know anything is possible, but I was assuming that since the Cub is a smaller tractor, maybe the weight is distributed more evenly between the front and back than bigger farm tractors. I'm not afraid to drive it, it's just something I wanted to keep in mind. The first time I ever drove it, I actually popped a wheeley because the clutch grabs a lot quicker than my pickup truck. The tractor didn't flip though

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What's the risk factor of Cubs overturning backwards?

Postby Super A » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am

mike758 wrote:I know that a pretty big risk factor for the older tractors is overturning backwards, and I know that they make ROPS kits for the Ford 8N. However though, I haven't heard any stories of a Cub overturning and I see that there are no ROPS kits available for it. I know anything is possible, but I was assuming that since the Cub is a smaller tractor, maybe the weight is distributed more evenly between the front and back than bigger farm tractors. I'm not afraid to drive it, it's just something I wanted to keep in mind. The first time I ever drove it, I actually popped a wheeley because the clutch grabs a lot quicker than my pickup truck. The tractor didn't flip though

Yes it will roll over backwards if the hitch point is too high.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:11 am

A cub will come over backwards, but not near as easily as the older rigs with steel wheels such as Fordsons, etc. Due to the lower horsepower and lighter weight it will mostly spin out or lose power before it reaches that point, but not always. There are exceptions, such as carrying a heavy implement on the rear, such as a weighted disk or a Howard Rotavator and going up a steep grade at the same time. Under those circumstances, the implement should be carried as low as possible so if the front starts up the implement will hit the ground removing the rear weight pulling it over.

I have a good example of getting a surprise though. One spring I still had the chains from plowing snow installed and was cleaning a ditch along the road to our farm. I was going up a moderate grade using the rear mount disk plow, which works great for this type of thing, since the disk normally just rolls over a root or embedded rock and goes on. I was running about 1/3 throttle in 1st when the disk plow blade caught a rock and for some reason hung rather than rolling around it. Before I had time to react the right front wheel was about 5 or so inches off the ground, I didn't have time to lean over to look at the left one. When doing that type of work I always ride with my left foot about a half inch above the clutch, and when the tractor stopped moving and started up that through my weight forward and my foot pushed the clutch in and the front came back down. I backed up enough to clear the rock and drove home, then called the wife to get a small prybar from the shed so I could get myself loose from the seat. Never drove that tractor without a seat cushion since. 8)
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:41 am

:Dito: To what was said above. Be sure to keep the lift side of tractor on the up side of any hill as it will turn over real easy. BTDT !!!!
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 am

Was towing a trailer up the steep incline from the lower area on the acreage to the hill top. Front tire hit a rock or rough spot and the front of the Cub bounced up.

I have added about 40 lbs of weight to the tool bar bracket on the front of the Cub and now shift into low gear and idle up the incline.

My Cub does not have the toggle brakes. Braking is more of a problem then the potential for flipping the tractor over backwards.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Back flip don't excite me, BUT side rollover does!! thanks; sonny

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:31 pm

As others have said, the cub will definitely flip over backwards, but it's pretty hard to do. I saw someone run one straight up a giant oak tree in my grandfathers front yard one time. The kid was mowing and just didn't pay attention to where he was going. The tractor hit perfectly straight on to the tree (about 3-feet in diameter) and the tractor just turned straight up, then sat and wobbled on the rear tires until it choked out and died. It was pretty funny, threw the kid right off the back, but it didn't flip over on him. I'd say he was pretty lucky, because another inch or two and it would have flipped over, but I think because the tree was so wide at the bottom, the rear tires couldn't get forward enough to bring the front end on over.

As Al said, you can do it by hitching something to it too high, like trying to pull shrubs or tree stumps, but again, it will typically loose traction and just spin the rear tires before it brings the front end up. I've pulled some pretty heavy stuff with my Cubs, including my 3000-pound Sea Ray boat, but I always hitched right to the drawbar and never had a problem. One time I had about 3 tons of gravel on my 16-foot landscape trailer, and pulled it out back with my Cub, to move the gravel to my patio, and the Cub didn't have any trouble. There again, the trailer was hitched to the drawbar and I was on flat ground, but it gives you an idea of Cub can do without a problem.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:06 pm

An example from one of our members a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31823
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Cubs came and went well before the ROPS regulations caught up. Did you know that in the last year of Cub production, 1979, a ROPS was not required on a tractor as large as ~75HP, weighing almost 5-tons (i.e. the 786)? Now you can barely get a lawn mower without a ROPS, and I'm sure that's coming.

Of course you're not going to see a commercially available, certified ROPS for a Cub. The requirements for certification and liability would make the ROPS cost more than most Cubs are worth, and demand would be limited.

Anyone who built a "non-certified" ROPS for commercial sale would be a fool; they may as well hand the first customer in line $1,000,000, and close the doors. They'd be money ahead.

jljmonky
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61875
eBay ID: babyj1981
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Low Boy
Twitter ID: jljmonky

Postby jljmonky » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Grand dad (whom I never knew due to an ealry health related death) rolled one on a hillside and bent the steering support to get out from under it... And since I learn things the hard way I was pulling a stump with mine and had the front end every bit of 2ft off the ground. I don't know that she would have pulled all the way over but by golly she tried.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:08 am

There is also the stupid and beer factor.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92042
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Return to “Farmall Cub”