This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to plowing adjustments , with a FH cub !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

New to plowing adjustments , with a FH cub !

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Hello everybody ,
I don't post very often on the "forum" , with my mechanical knowledge I can generally figure my problems out ! Years ago, I installed a FH on my '57 (standard) Cub , but for some reason my FH (earth) plow ( stamped CUB ) is not "noise-ing down enough in the front, to dig into the ground ! "At most", it sits about 1" down in front siting on level ground . The "crank type" depth control, is lowering the front bail down , only a few treads left on the screw ,and the lateral link lower swivels are lifting the pull bar support, are positioned to lift the attached FH plow up in the rear , to its max ! Could something be bent, appears to be "straight forward" in design , but when I attempted to plow the "neighborhood garden" , the plow just skims along ( with the TC pushing downward on the plow ) , it is just removing about 2" of sod , with the depth control adjust to the max down ( in front ) position of the hitch bail assembly!
Thanks for all of your suggestions , I would like to try the garden again, when it "dies out " after our many days of rain ,
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to plowing adjustments , with a FH cub !

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Lee,

Can you shoot some pics of your setup? Pics are worth the proverbial "thousand words." In the meantime take a look at this http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38411. I look forward to the pics.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Lee - Much like you, I tried the trial-and-error method. Finally, I asked for help and was directed to Bill's how-to he posted above. I followed the instructions and here's how it has plowed ever since ...

Trent McPeak

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi,
The older Fast Hitches had Depth Adjusting Links connecting the lever to the hitch bail. They are at the front of the Fast Hitch. The pins have to be in the holes at the ends of the links, for plowing. This was used on the Fast Hitch with the lever on the right side, for those of you with a lever.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual below. The pic is at the left bottom, not the right picture.
The height of the front of the hitch bail is what makes the plow go in the ground. It has to be low for plowing.
Also at the end of the 4th paragraph it tells where to set the collar on the lift rod. The rod is not used to push down, it will bend and you will ruin it eventually. Or the plow can hit some hard ground, and push up, and bend the rod. It says the plow should be free floating. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2020.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 pm

A big thanks to you both , Bill & Trent, Several good thoughts and directions , including on the "collar spacing of 6", to allow the plow to "float" and the twisted tractor angle , to allow for the tractor's right rear tire being lower , while plowing ! Very interesting thoughts , Thanks for your help and directions , Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks, That is probably is my largest problem , I never had any "adjustable links" ! Are they the same size that was used on the earlier , control level units ? I installed a FH on my '48 ( with the lever ) , maybe I could just copy them, to install on my '57 with the crank style depth control ! That front bail has to go lower, to get the nose of the plow down , thanks for the advice on the thought of NO downward pressure on the FH, for plowing ,
Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 pm

That's right about the twisted tractor Lee. That's why you raise the left side of the tractor. I did mine on a flat concrete slab, so the adjustments were easy to see. Notice in my video how the beam of the plow is pretty much plumb looking from the back while the tractor is "twisted," right side down in the furrow.

Also, yes, no down pressure. Mine is not fast hitch, so its just a chain that lifts it.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:39 pm

+1 on the "front down" too. My reversed drawbar darn near scrapes the ground when I plow at that depth.
Trent McPeak

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Lee,

For plowing, I'll take the Lever Depth adjuster over the screw type, hands down, no contest. The lever allows very rapid adjustment for plow depth in response to changing soil conditions. The screw type is not conducive to making adjustments on-the-fly, so you have to stop, make the adjustment and then start again. Besides the lever provides a very good handle to help an ole geezer get up on the platform. :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi,
I've never had a Cub with the crank adjustment at the front of the Fast Hitch. Looks like my info is only good for the older ones with the lever. Here is a page from the Cub parts book, there were no links like the older ones had evidently.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 009-08.jpg

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:26 pm

It appears you might be correct Glen, links on the lever version of "depth control" ONLY , I found my parts book , doesn't appear to have links on the newer style crank type , OR COULD THAT BE A MISPRINT , omitted by mistake ? My older lever style has the links on the FH '48 ! It would be nice to know for certain if the crank style had originally had the links, or could they be added to get the bail closer to the ground ? Thanks for all the help, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 am

Early style had the links (straps), the late style did not.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi Don, Thanks for the the input , " NO links needed" on my version" ! I just thought their was a easy way out of my problems, at full down with the "depth control" with the front bail ( crank style ) , their has to, AT LEAST, be a good 2" down to the nose of that plow blade, mine is less than 1" ? When I went through " pre-turned ground" , it traveled down 4" and looked decent , but when I went into sod ( grass ) at be it would only shave , the 1 " to 2" of basically grass !
A large "thanks to all" , for their inputs ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 am

Lee,

What does your plow's point look like? If it's badly worn, it will just slide across the top of the ground.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi Matt, picture attached, point appears great but I do need to remove that build up of rust , on its face ! Even with that amount of rust , and the good looking point , it should make an attempt to start forcing its way into the old sodded grass , that they are planning to make into a garden ? Maybe, at best 1/2" to 1" nose down on a flat surface ! Maybe the soil is TOO wet , to let the plow dig down , I'm just guessing , I was never a farmer, just enjoy these little red tractors ! Lee Petrie Joliet, IL.

Return to “Farmall Cub”