This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cracks in the block

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
justin2839
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47130

cracks in the block

Postby justin2839 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:24 am

My dad had a 55 cub loboy that the exhaust valves stuck because of rain getting in the exhaust when the cover over the exhaust pipe blew off and he didn't catch it. I pulled the head off to free up the valves and noticed that a number of the head bolt "bosses" were cracked to the water jacket. Being as the bolt holes are open to coolant anyway and we had not had any leaking or overheating problems we decided to put it back together as is. Its up and running again now and I haven't had any problems out of it but I was wondering if that is a common area to crack and if its something to be concerned about. Thanks

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: cracks in the block

Postby Scrivet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:45 am

Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you mean by "bosses". The block on a Cub doesn't have anything I would consider a "boss" just a threaded hole in the block. Did you take any pictures of the cracks while you had it apart. To some people a crack is anything you can see with a 20 powered magnifying glass to others the Grand Canyon is just a crack. Regardless, if you have it back together and it's working I think you're fine. Keep the proverbial eye on it and use it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cracks in the block

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Scrivet wrote:If you have it back together and it's working I think you're fine. Keep the proverbial eye on it and use it.
Concur.

Early Allis Chalmers engines typically cracked between the cylinders with the liner intact, not cracked. The head gasket covered the cracks, so no problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.