Repairing Headlights?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mountain4don
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Re: Repairing Headlights?

Postby mountain4don » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Stanton wrote:
midmo wrote:I have an easy fix for you. Wait about 50 days and bring to my cubfest in California. Can about guarantee it to be fixed in know time at all.
Midmo

You're a 30 minute drive from California, MO.

Wow! How fast does your Cub drive in road gear? I think mine only goes about 10 miles an hour and I am on the east side of the city. So maybe 2.5 hours or more for my wife to drive "her" Cub all the way to California! :tractor:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:11 am

I dissected one of those flat-back style sealed beam lights, and it has a dirty little secret.

Inside the light unit, is a cheap $1 bayonet bulb. It's not a "sealed beam" at all!

The only problem is, you have to ruin the bulb unit to get to it. There is almost no way to peel back the metal reflector without cracking the glass, AND the bulb is soldered into the reflector anyway.

Everybody thinks proprietary parts and planned obsolescence is a new thing. Here's a glaring example from the 1950's.

There are alternative solutions to the $50+ replacement bulbs, though.

If your housings are viable, 4511 type bulbs can be modified to fit. There is a How To in the How To forum.

If the housings are shot, just go get some generic "tractor lights" from the local "farm fleet" type store or online.

I would also highly recommend running new wiring for the lights. A 10A fuse should be sufficient. Bigger fuses just cause a fire hazard.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 pm

1133 bulbs draw 3.9 amps each and 4511 sealed beams draw 4.8 amps each. If you only have front lights you will get by for a while with a 10 amp fuse, but it will eventually fail from fatigue. With all 3 lights on a 10 amp fuse will usually be fairly short lived. Use the 20 amp fuse that they came from factory with.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!