This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What type of oil?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

What type of oil?

Postby jakeesspoo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 pm

Alright Im back. Trying to find time to work on my cub between working OT, taking care of the animals,and maintaining all my other "junk". I got all new gaskets that came in and a carb kit, points, and some other small items Im going to install this week. I also need a new manifold and have a bid on a used one on ebay. I found the sea-foam that everyone is talking about at the local Auto Zone and put some in the the oil. When i get it running im going to run it through for while then flush and refill. What type of oil do I use? Detergent or Non-detergent. I once heard that on a tractor this old (49') that detergent has probally been put in the engine at some point by somebody so to use that. Is this true? What do you think I should use. :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Low Ash

Postby countershaft » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:41 pm

Go to you'r IH dealer and get IH Low Ash - 30 weight oil, and be sure to change the filter, it the best for the old tractors.
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:56 am

I had the same issues last week, this is what the menbers suggested- and its working so far!

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

Lloyd430
1947 Farmall Cub, SN 9920

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:22 am

I don't think an ordinary detergent oil is going to do any harm, our restoration Cub engines have most probably suffered more from sludge with straight oil than any ill effects of detergent additives whilst we use them as basically hobby machines.
We have 11 vehicles of various types and they all have the same IGOL detergent oil in them ancient and modern alike, change at the manufacturers suggestions change filters at the same time if they exist.
The only engine I'm not too sure about is the Fordson Major which suffers from TVO (Tractor Vaporising Oil or Kerosene or Parafin type fuel) washdown into the sump (pan) thinning the oil when it is not working very hard.
Over here mostly oils and other bits and pieces that come under a vehicle manufacturer's name are made by a big oil concern with another label on the can and a price hike into the bargain, so that's why we ise IGOL, an independant French Supplier.
Pat
PS what a rigmarole I'm spouting here, sorry!

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Oil

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 am

Our family has been useing Penzoil 30 wt detergent in the Cub for most of the 55 years since it was new. Just settle on some good brand and stick with it.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:19 am

This is one of those "just pick a direction and go" things... You really can't go wrong with any good quality motor oil.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:21 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:This is one of those "just pick a direction and go" things... You really can't go wrong with any good quality motor oil.

Matt,

Absolutely right! I doubt any of us are qualified to make any fine distinction between oil qualities. In fact I think it's silly when someone says "I've been using brand XXX for a whole year and it's great!". How on earth could they know?... by the reduced number of blown engines? By reduced measured wear on critical parts?

Make sure you have enough of a popular make oil in your engine, and that it's clean and you are good to go.

It's a lot like the common bias against a popular make spark plug... how on earth do they support a lab where they measure the fine difference (if any) between makes?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:54 pm

Jake:

Image. I agree 100% with George on this. :D

George Willer wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:This is one of those "just pick a direction and go" things... You really can't go wrong with any good quality motor oil.

Matt,

Absolutely right! I doubt any of us are qualified to make any fine distinction between oil qualities. In fact I think it's silly when someone says "I've been using brand XXX for a whole year and it's great!". How on earth could they know?... by the reduced number of blown engines? By reduced measured wear on critical parts?

Make sure you have enough of a popular make oil in your engine, and that it's clean and you are good to go.

It's a lot like the common bias against a popular make spark plug... how on earth do they support a lab where they measure the fine difference (if any) between makes?

For example, there is always discussion as to which brand of plug is the best. I really don't think it matters much - it is pretty much up to you what YOU prefer. Me, I like Bosch and I like NKG. However --

After reading many threads etc., I have come to the conclusion that for ME, the best thing is to use what is recommended.

I always end up making a trip to my Local CaseIH Dealer.

He disposes of my used oil in his Used Oil Burner Furnace.
He disposes of my used antifreeze in his storage tank, then pays for disposal.
He is ready and willing to provide all the FREE tech support I need simply by answering the phone and having a chat.. they are becoming friends.
He will get just about any part for me I desire for my Cubs and will search high and low to get it.

He recommends CaseIH 30Weight Low Ash Oil.
He recommends CaseIH Hy-Tran
He recommends Champion D-21's for regular usage and when my Cubs are not run as often.. maybe go to D-16's. btw... if you do a cross on D-16 or D-21, they cross to the same plugs in other brands.. no difference even though the D-16 is slightly cooler.

I figure it is well worth the extra dollar or two to buy Genuine CaseIH from my Dealer. I want to be able to have a dealer in the future so I support him as much as I can.

Yes, I probably can get a slightly better price at Wally World or Canada Trash -- but I don't bother. It costs the same to get to my dealer or to these other retailers... I choose my dealer.

Again, it is personal opinion. Am I an expert on the viscosity of oils and their other properties? Heck no. I can barely understand half the stuff I do... never mind the stuff I have no idea about.

Same for my Van... I take it to the dealer - he puts in whatever Chrysler tells him to -- Good enough for me. :roll: :lol: :lol:

It is your Cub and it is your preference for the fluids you put in it. :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

spark plugs

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm

In the aobut oil thread, wehn you were talking aobut your local dealer you stated "He recommends Champion D-21's for regular usage and when my Cubs are not run as often.. maybe go to D-16's. btw did you by chance reverse the 2 plug numbers. Ususually the hotter plugs are reccomened for occasioanl use, but witht he qualtiyr of gas I do run 21s all the time.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 pm

The manual recommends single weight non-detergent oil because multi-weight oils and detergent additives were not perfected yet. Cubs were designed to run on 80 octane fuel and the manual recommends it but it's not 1948 any more.

I don't think the brand or detergent/non-detergent is nearly as critical as using the proper weight oil and changing it regularly - engine, transmission and finals - to remove water, dirt and other impurities. I use the least expensive oil I can find (same with gasoline), usually Esso brand or Walmart brand, and it goes in everything. Modern oils are lightyears better than the oils available when Cubs were designed.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 am

Here Here Lurker as we say in UK
100% YES.
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”