This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing the garden

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CTFD24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45656
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super H
Circle of Safety: Y

Plowing the garden

Postby CTFD24 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi everyone,
Just thought I would share some pictures that I took yesterday. A couple days ago my son Gage (4 1/2 years old) and I had some fun mounting our "new" plow to our 1951 cub. He loves helping with the old tractors. Last night he got to see all of his hard work put to use as I made a few passes around the garden to test it out. I must say we were both quite impressed! Hopefully we will have some time this weekend to plow the rest of it.
Attachments
20160323_184753_resized_1.jpg
20160323_184702_resized.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Plowing the garden

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Looking good. Just waiting for the ground to dry before plowing mine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Looks like you kept it in the furrow. Nice plowing :D

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:46 pm

That looks very nice! :thumbsup:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi,
Nice seeing the plowing, and the family there. I saw in the Cub pic that it looks like one of the brake pedal return springs is probably broken or gone. They are under the platform.
Here is a pic of it at TM Tractor you can look at. They are sort of strong springs, I use a vise grip pliers to put them on. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/br/864fp.htm

CTFD24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45656
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super H

Postby CTFD24 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
John, the soil here was a bit on the wet side as well, but I got a little anxious. Only lost traction once though. I plan to wait until it's a bit dryer to finish the job.
Glen, believe it or not it has new springs from TM on all the pedals. The right brake and clutch work flawlessly, but the left brake has a bit too much friction somewhere inside as it makes its way toward the left side of the tractor. I've tried lubricating all the points that I can get to, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:42 am

CTFD24 wrote:...I've tried lubricating all the points that I can get to, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Nice furrows. Now multiply that a whole bunch of times and you're garden will be plowed.

As for the pedal springs, check out the left final drive. Inspect via the opening under the top portion of the drive, front and back, where the brake rod enters the drive housing. It may be that your brake band is not centered on the hub, or the hub has shifted and not riding on the drive like it should. You can use the other drive/brake on the right side for reference.

There are also several How To's on brakes. Here's one by Dale Finch that shows some good pictures for reference: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436

Let us know what you find.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:54 am

[quote="CTFD24"....
John, the soil here was a bit on the wet side as well, but I got a little anxious.......[/quote]We have a lot of red clay in the ground here. if you plow your ground wet and get some rain at just the right time to melt the clods you are ok, but if you don't get the rain before it dries good you forget about that ground for 2 or 3 years, it turns into little pieces of concrete.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi,
You already knew about the springs, wasn't sure if you did or not.
You could take out the pin at the clevis on the left brake rod, to the left of the dash, and down, and work the pedal, and the rod, and see which area is too tight. Then you will know where to lube more, or if there is something wrong in the brake drum and band area.
If the shaft is tight in the clutch housing, keep applying thin penetrating oil at all the places the brake shaft is visible, where it goes into the clutch housing, and there is another place under the platform at the bottom of the brake pedal to lube.
If the shaft is tight in the clutch housing and won't loosen up, try removing the pin, like I said above, and the pedal spring, and then you can work the pedal down a long ways, keep repeating the long movement up and down, it might loosen up then. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”