This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Proposal: Cub Image Server...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Proposal: Cub Image Server...

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:04 am

Guys,

It's always been difficult to get pictures posted on the forum...

Everyone uses a different service, the instructions are at best generic because of the different services everyone uses, and the pictures quite often disappear when services change their names, URLs, or people just don't re-up them. I know some of mine in the older posts are no longer valid.

What would you say to establishing a standard Cub Image Server and writing up directions for how to post to it?

It would be easier to create directions for it, and it could house the images in perpetuity so that older posts don't end up with empty boxes in them.

Let me know what you think, disk space is very cheap these days, and the pictures could be compressed easily enough to conserve space without losing resolution.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Allen - I think there may be some merit to this idea. Perhaps one way to test it would be to set up an account for the forum on one of the photo host sites with the username and password available to registered forum users. This does have some potential weaknesses but if policed closely, might work. Photobucket is one possibility.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:14 pm

Why can't something be set up like on redpowermagazine.com?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Photos

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 pm

I was thinking about something dedicated to the forum, but not necessarily on the same server (although it could be.)

The photo services certainly have plenty of bandwidth, we would just have to keep the account active :)

Super A I'm not sure which part of redpowermagazine.com you mean?

Although I'd be worried (again) about their longevity, something like http://www.ourmedia.com would also work...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:27 pm

Allen:

Well, I like the idea... it has merit.

However, the main problem is going to be bandwidth and it;s associated costs. I am not sure how the revenue for that would be generated.

I have often thought that if there was a way for the Image Server to be colocated with FarmallCub.com, or on the same server but a different partition... then the bandwidth costs would be either minimal or negated.

Of course we would have to support this service somehow.

I am not a great fan of memberships, sponsorships and the like, however there may be some merit in exploring that possibility.

You have to realize of course that there would have to be limitations such as:

The Image Server would require a Membership - probably tied to your User ID at FarmallCub.com
Uploads of images would have to be done by members only
Logons would be required
Image sizes would have to be regulated

However, I can see great advantages to this type of service. Dennis, what do you think????

It sure would beat the heck out of photobucket and other sites like it.. way too much spyware, bots, other attrocious things associated with that type of server. Remember there is a cost to everything.. and if a site is advertised as a free service, then you can bet your bottom half that there is a data miner involved.. someone has to pay for the equipment and the bandwidth..

Lil Dog, what do you think??? You have the CubFest Server up.. what is that costing.. is it viable and would a sponsorship program be viable????

I am ramblin....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:24 pm

Rudi wrote:Allen:

Well, I like the idea... it has merit.

However, the main problem is going to be bandwidth and it;s associated costs. I am not sure how the revenue for that would be generated.
<snip>
However, I can see great advantages to this type of service. Dennis, what do you think????

Rudi, you hit the nail on the head. Bandwidth is the biggest issue. FarmallCub.com is currently running 17 to 19 GigaBytes a month on it's own. Images can rack up bandwidth faster than anything when posted in active forums and eBay. I afraid it would have to be a pay service or as the others, have lots of paid advertising.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Postby lildog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:59 am

I could easily add photo album functionality to CubFest.com. I'd have to upgrade my hosting account to their "unlimited" package (unmetered traffic and 20gb storage). The cost would be $120 annually.

My host fully supports the Coppermine Photo Gallery software:
http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:12 am

Sounds like a real good idea, keep it all "in house"
I agree with Rudi, don't like memberships etc, BUT, if it would give the board more freedom, ability to go to the photo itself safely, no publicity, spy..... etc, why not?
Personally speaking for myself, I would be happy to dib in some euros or even dollars (US of course) to get something like that up and running, we have logins on Photobucket etc not much different than the proposition,
Good Idea I support it,
Pat

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cash

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:50 am

I will certainly pony up some cash for the venture... I have gotten far more value from the forum than I feel I've been able to give back, and it would help even things out a bit.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Photos

Postby Super A » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:54 am

allenlook wrote:I was thinking about something dedicated to the forum, but not necessarily on the same server (although it could be.)

The photo services certainly have plenty of bandwidth, we would just have to keep the account active :)

Super A I'm not sure which part of redpowermagazine.com you mean?

Although I'd be worried (again) about their longevity, something like http://www.ourmedia.com would also work...

Somebody email Rick over at redpower.com and get the details. Everything there is in-house on the same server and it's all free to members. They don't have a full-fledged image library you can go into and browse but it's a heckuva lot easier to get pictures in a post over there than it is here.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:30 am

I have not yet had the need to post pictures but I have certainly benefited from many of the postings that do have photo's. I know as I get going on my Cub there will be times when a picture will be of great help as I try to describe what I have no idea what I'm talking about. I would be happy to contribute towards any expense associated to maintaining this forum.
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:54 am

MMMM, lets see $120.00 per year divided by 1733 registered users
on farmall cub.com= $.07 each.

If you guys decide to go with it just let me know where to send the money & I will be it $.07 or$ 10.00 it all would be worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:04 am

I normally post pictures on the free space provided by my ISP, but will gladly chipin on this adn start stoing them on it instead..
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:27 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I normally post pictures on the free space provided by my ISP, but will gladly chipin on this adn start stoing them on it instead..

John I would us my free space on my sever also but the software
they want you to use is $200.00. I don't think so!!!!!!!!!
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:37 am

What $200 software do you need? I use an FTP program to put things on my ISP. It was a free download. That particular program isn't free any more, but there are things that will do it for less than $200.

Return to “Farmall Cub”