This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch parts diagnosis

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ccaissie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04353

Clutch parts diagnosis

Postby ccaissie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I acquired a 1961 cub with a clutch problem...no further info than that. $300 seemed a good price, even if not running.
Plenty of freeplay, so I figured the disk or TO is the problem. Disassembled, and found the disk is not too bad, the pressure plate and flywheel faces look good, the TO bearing face is complete.
But I did find one of the clutch finger locknuts lying in the goop in the bellhousing. So, that came off. The finger height is 1.44 for the finger with the nut gone, 1.5" and 1.6" for the others. The TO bearing also has a nice swirl shape to the face.
Also, the clutch bearing yoke has some beaten marks on the arms that matches a beaten area on the clutch cover. the 2 remaining adjuster nuts have been whacked. Clearly the throwout bearing and yoke was thrown way forward to contact the clutch cover and adjusting nuts.

Now it makes sense to replace it all, but there's so many opinions on where to get good parts...the originals are supposed to be 3x better than any replacements. I think it's a case of the fingers being way out of adjustment, the yoke being jammed too far forward, and the adjusting nuts hitting on the yoke and getting damaged, or spun off.

I think I'll do this:

Adjust the clutch fingers to 1.25"
Replace the locknuts and stake them
Lap the face of the Graphite nice and flat
Clean up the pressure plate, flywheel and disk
Reassemble with all the proper grease/oil soaks and lube

Any hints, protests, outrage?
Attachments
IMG_1770_1.JPG
1948 Farmall Super AV
1961 Cub
1964 International B275
1947 International KB-5 Dump Truck
1968 F-250 plow truck
Other Stuff

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch parts diagnosis

Postby brewzalot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 pm

ccaissie wrote:I think it's a case of the fingers being way out of adjustment, the yoke being jammed too far forward, and the adjusting nuts hitting on the yoke and getting damaged, or spun off.

I think you answered your own question. I don't see anything majorly wrong or that cannot be fixed in your picture. E- bay has old clutches offered all the time for parts.

ccaissie wrote:the originals are supposed to be 3x better than any replacements

Certainly better, 3 times?, maybe. The complete clutch kit from Hamilton Bobs for eighty some dollars is not that bad in my opinion. At least the one I got last fall. I like the good old USA as much as anyone but unfortunately its a different world today.

Make sure the yoke is not sloppy, adjust the fingers exactly the same height, and soak that graphite in cheap grease, adjust the pedal free play per the book, and you should be fine.

Edit- don't forget to lube the driveshaft pilot bushing too.

Good luck, Tim

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 pm

brewzalot wrote:
, and soak that graphite in cheap grease,

Not to nitpick, but the TOB should be soaked in a light weight oil. A cheap (low temperature) grease is what the cavity should be filled with through the zerk.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ccaissie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04353

Postby ccaissie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 am

Great feedback. I had dreaded the split, but it was easy..easier than the cub I rebuilt earlier...experience helps.

Oil on the graphite makes tribologic sense.

Yoke is ok, got scuffed due to big throw, but that's not going to happen again due to my conservative sense of how to treat these beasts.

Yeah, China...whattya gonna do?

Will report in later.

C
1948 Farmall Super AV
1961 Cub
1964 International B275
1947 International KB-5 Dump Truck
1968 F-250 plow truck
Other Stuff

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:25 am

You want to look at the pivot holes in the yoke and for wear in the pin. I recently replaced mine on a project and a little wear on both made a big difference.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 am

As Bob said, check the hanger pin.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:19 am

While you have it apart go ahead and replace the throw out bearing. You can get the one from Case I/H at about 90 or the generic for about 50. I have used the generics for a long time with no problem. Just be sure that you soak the generic in oil for a few days. I usually keep a spare generic in a double plastic sandwich bag filled with oil.

Return to “Farmall Cub”