This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My luck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Csmith
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28681

My luck

Postby Csmith » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:38 pm

So, I spent the weekend on my new to me 49 cub riding around getting old rings re-seated,gaskets swollen back up,etc etc. I had changed all of the fluids and done all of the things you are supposed to do to bring everything back to life. and went about life as normal on my little farm. I was just finishing up turning the second acre when i heard a knock (thought it was a rod knocking). I stopped the tractor immediately, and diagnosed the problem as the fan pulley. Ordered a new one, and continued on with my trusty 68 Powerking, pulling my 23a harrow. I got notice today that my parts where on there way and decided to risk driving the Cub back up to the shop. 10 foot from the shop, needs a new radiator too :(

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My luck

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Yup. Fan bearings gave out on my Cub, fan took out the radiator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:23 pm

That is a rough way to start with a great little tractor.
Sorry for your loss there.
Probably one of the first things that should be serviced is that fan hub.
Just Do It !

Csmith
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Csmith » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Yea, I just found out the pulleys on the replacement fan assembly don't line up with my gen either. I had hoped to keep her as original as possible, she might have to wind up with a 12 volt genny yet.

Csmith
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Csmith » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:53 pm

OK, new radiator is installed and with a little redneck ingenuity the belts are lined up and she is back to running again. I am still having a problem with the float in the carb and the fact that my choke keeps easing back on and flooding the engine. Was there a spring to keep it in the off position or????

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:05 pm

The choke rod has a bend in it, behind the dash, to hold the choke rod in place.

If the choke rod is holding in the dash, there is a clamp on the back side of the carburetor that the choke rod attaches to. Perhaps the clamp is loose on the carburetor choke shaft.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:40 am

Hi,
There is a small spring in the carburetor to keep the choke in the fully open position, and to make friction when the choke is partly or fully closed. It is rather flat looking, not a regular looking spring. Here is a page from the Cub parts book showing the IH carburetor, the spring is number 15 in the pic.
If the choke lever at the carb moves with no friction, the spring is either bent, weak, or not there. Or the end on the choke shaft that rubs on the spring could be damaged.
I think you have to take the choke shaft out of the carb to replace the spring. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-12.jpg

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:41 am

The arm on the choke shaft that the rod fits into is adjustable. Make sure it is positioned at six o'clock with the choke open so the weight of the rod is not causing it to rotate. The shaft should be knurled so you may have to loosen the arm, slide it off a little, rotate, slide back into position, and retighten.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 am

19.95 from T M Tractor (one of our sponsors)
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Farmall Cub”