This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The "Tank" is done

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

The "Tank" is done

Postby Kodiak » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Many thanks to Rudi for his info and directions on building the electrolysis tank. I made some slight modifications to mine more rods and I used a 30 gallon tank.

I also used acorn style ground rod clamps to connect the wiring to the re-bar. Everything used I rounded up for free, even the old TV cart. The battery charger was a disguarded unit that I repaired. I did buy a PVC value and elbow for the drain!
Now it's off to Home Depot for some TSP and a test run this weekend!Thanks Rudi !!!

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

I forgot....the frame in the background is avalible if anyone needs it for a tank project or anything else. I was going to use it for my tank project but I found the TV cart with wheels already on it. If your interested send me a PM or email.

The frame is spoken for. 8-26-05 Ron W.
Last edited by Kodiak on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:32 am

Ron:

All I can say is :

WOW :!: :shock: 8) 8) Very, Very 8)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Nice!

I just dragged the 55 gallon drum from behind the garage today. The lable says 'Toilet Appliance Cleaner'. :shock:

Appears to have about a gallon left. MMMMMmmmm where am I going to find one of those appliances, and if I do, should I clean it??

Kodiak, I will also put some more holes in it, How did you cut the plastic? I think I got the wholel lowdown on how Rudi did it, but ideas are always welcome.

Not sure how I will attach the drain, possibly I will flip it over and use one of the bung holes (never needed to use that phrase with an object before).

I don't have a way to support it at the moment, the moving dolly is under the mower and I am not sure I want to tie it up with the tank. Could be a bit top heavy too. I have a couple of those cheap hand trucks. A side drain could be good too? There was not as much crud in the bottom of the 15 gallon tank as I suspected, so I am not too worried about draining it.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:41 pm

Buzz,
I cut my bottom out of the barrel with a jig saw with a fine tooth blade. I would think a side drain would work just fine. I would probably put it as low as possible to make it easier to wash out when you want to clean it.

Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:55 pm

Excellent! Where did you get the valve for the drain? I need to look and see what size hole saws I have.

I did think Rudi's idea of the 'anode holder' built into the tank is ingenious.. I am using C-clamps and whatever I have around the shop to hold the rebar in place on my 'smaller' tank. It would be nice to just disconnect em for the wire brushing.

I may go back to a 5 gallon bucket for the small one once I get the big one in operation as most everything will fit well in that tank.

I am also going to take a look at the camper I want to get rid of... it has a clear (white) poly water storage tank. Owned it about 5 years and never used it or even looked at it closely. Could have algea and who know what all in it, but may make a nice tank.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:30 am

BW,
What little plumbing I did came from Home Depot. They carry ball values in all sizes. My anode holders are acorn style ground rod clamps for 5/8" ground rods. All I have to do to clean is just loosen up the clamp and pull the rod out for cleaning!
Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:28 pm

Ron:

Close ups and a narrative would be nice -- and it would be a nice addition to the server ifn you would. My tank feels lonely... it needs company.. :-)

Let me know k? I want to see close-ups of the acorn nuts..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Rudi,
I'll see if I can get it together and send some stuff your way.

Ron

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Guess my task will also be to shoot some photos, but I really think Rudi's web page is sufficient.... I was just checking to see if any new tricks were learned in the process.

I am more interested in getting the tranny, brakes and PTO (bearing) along with the final drive seals (?) and what not done first, so the barrel can sit, at least till I take the first fender off! That won't fit in the other tank. Honestly the seat post bolts and the clevis on the one brake rod that is left is giving me fits.... even with Kroil!

Still on the lookout for free/inexpensive anodes. If I recall the 18" 3/8" ones are about $1.67.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:55 pm

Larry:

You should be able to buy used rebar etc., at the local scrap dealer by the pound... or even visit a local contractor. They probably cannot use 3 foot lengths very well, and might be willing just to give you a bunch to get rid of it....

Even used rod that has been in concrete is useable I would think.

Yust an ideer :idea: :?: :roll: :D

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:46 am

I keep circling the Cub! But while I am stumped on the very well fused seat post bolts and the always troublesome brake rod clevis pin (I know enough to put em back so you can press em out 20 years from now) I have not been idle. Got the hood off last night and put the Kroil to everything I know will need to come off. This one is substantially 'cleaner' than the younger model, but nothing is mysterious to me anymore. Other than a few stray missing parts (plug wire clip, brake on one side) she is in fine shape.

Great news.... there is a email 'recycling' program where you can give stuff to people that need it. http://www.freecycle.org/ (Rudi, there is one in Monkton!) A lady posted a picnic table, so since the truck was empty and I wanted one for up north I jumped on the deal.... She was 'cleaning' house so I also got a few other things including a nearly new BATTERY CHARGER!!! Good things come to those who wait.

I have been on the lookout for construction and may take a run by the guy with the concrete crusher, surely he will have some old rebar.

Now the only question is.... do I have enough power in the garage to run two chargers and all the other stuff.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:49 am

BW,

Now that you are driving slower, it's easier to keep an eye peeled while you are on the road for road kill stainless wheel covers to use for the anode. I'm on my second one and it works great... they last nearly forever.

Some are concerned about chromium being released to the electrolyte but I haven't seen any of the tell-tale yellow color. There are many different stainless steels so the wheel covers that I've used seem to be OK. They sure are easier to keep clean! :D

I'm keeping an eye peeled for a better source for plastic grids to keep the parts from contacting the anode but not interfere with current flow. I'm thinking about the egg crate panels used over some flourescent lights. 8)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:24 pm

Interesting George.... I am sure I have some kind of stainless kicking around and it makes sense to try it on one of the anodes.

Could old plastic coated, wire frame dish drainer work for your separator? (I think I have one somewhere)

Film at 11!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:29 am

Great news! Talked to the guy that has a crusher (quarry) today and he has a mountain of rebar. Seems he also does concrete crushing. I was explaining what I wanted it for and he said he has a Cub.

So not only did I find an endless supply for the big tank, but a pretty interesting mower set up. Belly mounted reel mowers with one behind.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y40/Buzza ... l%20mower/

Return to “Farmall Cub”