This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throwout bearings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Oldthings
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45122

Throwout bearings

Postby Oldthings » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:09 am

Which throwout bearing would be best when I split my 49 cub to replace the oil seal? I have no problems with the clutch but since its apart it I am considering a complete kit as prevention.. Its never been split and it has the original graphite bearing. Should I replace it with another graphite bearing? Use a roller bearing with the zerk fitting or try a automotive type bearing that is available that requires no grease? Should I replace anything? I think at least the disc needs replaced because its adjusted where it catches right off fully depressed. It does have 1-2 inches of free play at full release. Thanks, Ray

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throwout bearings

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 am

My opinion.

Wait to order parts until the tractor has been split and the individual pieces inspected. You may only need the graphite throw out bearing, pilot shaft bushing, and perhaps the clutch disk.

A lot of clutch kits are junk. The original pressure plate is probably in good condition and of much better quality than the one provided in kits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:48 am

I wouldn't replace any parts unless they are badly worn. A half worn, original clutch, will outlast 2 new ones! I've bought used clutches, rather than use the new ones. Had a new clutch disk, spit the lining out the hand hole, after 2 hours of light use.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Wow.... you guys are ruining my faith in Chines parts. :lol:
You're right, it is better to refurbish the older used parts then what is available today.

Bruce.

Oldthings
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45122

Postby Oldthings » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I will just replace the bearing with graphite type and inspect the other parts. Readjust the pressure plate fingers if needed. It functions just fine, No noise, vibration or slippage even pulling some logs with it. Anyone one tried a provider out of Indiana who relines original disc? Although I am a new member to this forum, I have read it for years and has provided a wealth of info, saving me aggravation and money. Thanks to all. Ray

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Be sure to grease the TO bearing, before use. (TM bearings, are pre greased) Soak in oil, if dry.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Oldthings wrote:Anyone one tried a provider out of Indiana who relines original disc?
10 or 15 years ago I purchased a new Cub clutch disc from the local auto parts store.

If you want to have some one reline your clutch disc, inquire at your local auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Type of grease to use.

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 am

AS it has been said many times --- only use CHEAP, LOW TEMPERATURE GREASE so it will penetrate the pores of the graphite. High temperature, extreme pressure, etc. stuff will NOT lubricate the graphite....

Return to “Farmall Cub”