This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Idle tube

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Idle tube

Postby Papa's Cub » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Yesterday I removed the cultivators, planter and fertilizer unit from my 66 cub and hooked up the Turn plow. I had started it up a few times to move it around the shop and noticed it would only run for a few minutes and then spit & sputter and die. After about 10 minutes it would fire right up then quit again a few minutes later. Since it had been in the barn for a few months I thought I'd better clean the fuel bowl, inlet filter, etc. before attempting to turn the garden. The inlet filter was almost stopped up completely with trash so I decided to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. The first thing I noticed when removing the carb was that the carb-to-manifold gasket was shot and was probably contributing to it running rough. The second thing I noticed when disassembling the carb was that the idle tube was broken and the broken piece was nowhere to be found. ( previous owner I guess ) Anyhow, I've ordered a new idle tube and gaskets and should be here in a few days. Now my question, just what is the function of this tube and if I put the carb back together will it run good enough for me to start turning ground? I'm ready to smell new dirt! Thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Idle tube

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 pm

The idle tube is part of the low end system. The calibrated orifice is in the threaded end which would still be in the carb top. Unless it got crimped over when it was broken, you probably won't notice much difference in running the carb. Threads are 4-48 but you may be able to back it out with a small left hand drill bit if you have one.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Tom, Bring it over to the CubFest in Sneads Florida this weekend and let's take a look. The tools to do the job should be there.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Barnyard wrote: The tools to do the job should be there.

Yes, they will be. :D

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm

The best place I can think of to get it done.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:26 am

Bob, Bill, and Stan, I thank ya'll for your responses. I did put the carb back together and tried to plow but It skipping so bad I stopped. I'm going to re-set the points and change the plugs and give it another try after lunch. Bill I wanted to get over to D.S.C.F., but, just like last year, I probably won't be able to make it. We had planned to go last year but had to cancel due to my wife's knee replacement and a few months ago she had to have a tumor and half of her thyroid removed. If it's not one thing it's another. You know, "growing old is not what I thought it would be". Thanks again and I hope everybody has a great time in Sneads this year, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:30 pm

You can get a small set of left hand drill bits at HARBOR FREIGHT and the best price on the idle jet that I have found is mcdonaldcarb.com, best to use a hand drill and go slowly and carefully after soaking it with a penetrating oil for a bit. The piece in the upper part of the carb is only about 3/4 inch long. Hope life treats you better soon. I can identify with some of those issues. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:12 am

staninlowerAL wrote:You can get a small set of left hand drill bits at HARBOR FREIGHT and the best price on the idle jet that I have found is mcdonaldcarb.com, best to use a hand drill and go slowly and carefully after soaking it with a penetrating oil for a bit. The piece in the upper part of the carb is only about 3/4 inch long. Hope life treats you better soon. I can identify with some of those issues. Stan

The size needed is 3/32". I got mine at NAPA for a couple bucks or so.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”