This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Generator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DuaneFriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98953
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Another Generator question

Postby DuaneFriend » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Recently, I noticed that my cub was no longer charging. After doing research on this site, I used the helpful flow chart to determine that the voltage regulator was bad.
I wasn't real sure about my generator either so I sent both to my local generator shop for testing. I was told the generator was good but regulator was not. I bought a new regulator and put it all back together. Upon starting, it began charging at 10 amps. After 20 seconds or so, it cut out and went to discharge for 20 - 30 seconds and then began charging again. After a short while I shut it off. Starting it up later, it no longer will charge. I wonder what happened. I did not have time to run through the flow chart again. Will regulators go bad that fast? I am fairly certain the wiring harness is original. Could there be a problem there? Any thoughts are appreciated. I am not a master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I just like tractors.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another Generator question

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 am

Hi,
I'm in Wa. too. Yes, a new regulator could quit that fast if it is defective. You needed to polarize the system before starting the engine, after putting the new regulator on. It is not hard to do, you need a piece of automotive wire, 10 inches long or so, and bare the 2 ends back 1/8 inch or so. Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how to do it, the directions start at the lower left side of the page.
I don't know how your wiring harness is, without being there to see it, it could have a problem, or could still be good.
You could clean the wire ends on every wire you can get at, if you have the hood off the Cub.
The connections have to make good contact for it to work right.
Disconnect the battery ground first is better. Remove each wire one at a time, sand the end, and the part where the end sits on. Wipe them off with a clean rag, they should be shiny clean metal. Then put it back on. Do only one at a time so you don't have more than one unhooked, then they don't get mixed up. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-40.jpg

DuaneFriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98953
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Postby DuaneFriend » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:13 am

I did polarize it before I started it. I will call the generator shop today and see what they say. I replaced the voltage regulator just 2 years ago. I had another old tractor for years and never had any problems with the vr.

Oldthings
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45122

Postby Oldthings » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 am

Take the cover off the voltage regulator and gently pull up on the contacts. One may be stuck. I had a similar problem on 75 cub that was used everyday. One day I started it and notice the amp guage indicated discharge. While the cover was off, I used a emory board like you use to file fingernails with. I ran it back and forth between all the contacts and haven't had any problems since. A quick shot of WD 40 at the base of the contacts would not either.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:26 am

Emery Board will usually work but can leave behind a residue that can give problems later, IH recommends a points file for this maintenance as well as the points (search this topic for more posts on this subject). Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”