This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking for ballpark value of a Cub I might buy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looking for ballpark value of a Cub I might buy

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:He'll get his price. If you check the going price on that areas craigslist ads he is way down on the lower end of what people are asking. In fact he is asking about half.
He may be asking about half what the Cubs, including the tractor advertised as a C, go for in your area on Craig' List. But, this is a barn find, unknown condition. All of the Cubs pictured in the Craig's List post appear to be operational.

My opinion, posters on this topic have provided realistic prices for a Cub in unknown condition. Have to ask yourself if you would pay a parts tractor price for a tractor in unknown condition. Or pay $1000- for the same tractor with the possibility of having to put another $1000- or more into the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:He'll get his price. If you check the going price on that areas craigslist ads he is way down on the lower end of what people are asking. In fact he is asking about half.
Don't believe me have a look...
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sea ... mall%20cub
His includes implements too.
If he posts his phone will ring first.
I'm sorry but you can't compare cub prices in Missouri to the east coast.
They may go cheap out by you guys but we have to pay up out here.
:big give up:
I have little doubt he'll get his price. My opinion is still that his price is to much money. But my point, again, is that my opinion, mike758's opinion, and your opinion, doesn't mean anything. Whose opinion matters is the guy selling the Cub and what he thinks it's worth. Simple sales fundamentals. You're not buying anything until the person selling it thinks you are offering a fair or higher price.

My main question though is if Cubs are so much more expensive there, and so much cheaper here, why isn't there trailers full of Cubs heading for the East Coast from the Midwest????? Or empty trailers from the East Coast flooding the Midwest? A weekend and a couple tanks of gas aren't that expensive right now. I just don't see this great disparity of Cub pricing without some enterprising person taking advantage of it.

mike758
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342

Postby mike758 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:41 pm

I've seen the going prices on CL. The problem is though, I don't believe it runs. I think $500 range for "as is" is pretty fair, even on the east coast. Maybe a bit more for the implements. If it does run though, I agree, between $1,000 and $1,500 at least

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with what things sell for either. I think they should be less too for but folks are shelling out that kind of cash for them and as long as they do thats what sellers will ask.
As for why don't people make the drive cross country for the deal?
I can only reason why buyers don't travel is the expense of time, gas and lodging wiping out any savings over buying local.
Cost of a shipping company could take away any savings as well. Consider that and one may be better off biting the bullet paying the local price and being done with it.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:He'll get his price. If you check the going price on that areas craigslist ads he is way down on the lower end of what people are asking. In fact he is asking about half......
So your saying this is a $2,000 Cub on the East Coast and consensus is $500 to $800 for Midwest.
Lt.Mike wrote:.......As for why don't people make the drive cross country for the deal?
I can only reason why buyers don't travel is the expense of time, gas and lodging wiping out any savings over buying local.
Cost of a shipping company could take away any savings as well...........
So if we over pay and give $1,000 here and haul it to the East Coast and sell it we'll double our money? I can fit two on my trailer so I can make $2,000 a trip. If I don't stay at the Four Seasons for a week, I think I can make that work. :D
What I think is, we are talking about extremes. Not all Cubs sell here for $500 and not all Cubs there sell for $2,000. There are plenty of $1,500-2,000 Cubs on Craigslist here. You see them because those are the ones that don't sell right away. The reasonably priced ones, here and there, get listed and sold quickly. Just like any other realistically priced item from a pair of boots to real estate.
Lt.Mike wrote:........Consider that and one may be better off biting the bullet paying the local price and being done with it.
"Being done with it" is probably the truest part of all this. People want instant gratification. I want a Cub I want it NOW! Stereotyping and from first hand experience people on the East Coast have more money and impatience than us midwesterners.

Yes, I truly believe your Cubs are more expensive. I just don't believe the gap is as big as you are thinking it is.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:45 am

I just looked at that Craig's List page. 4 Cubs for sale, only one is a fresh listing, the others 2 to 6 weeks old. Asking price is one thing, selling price can be another.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 am

On my commute to work I see 3 farmall "lawn art" tractors all with better paint than 2 of my three tractors. Some with wheel weights, manure spreaders and other items easy to part out. On the east coast at a certain price point people just keep dad's or grand pa's tractor. They may even put money in them to paint them not get them running. They do no sell them if the price is too low. The market here is different.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

SouthernOutlaw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:39 am

inairam wrote:On my commute to work I see 3 farmall "lawn art" tractors all with better paint than 2 of my three tractors. Some with wheel weights, manure spreaders and other items easy to part out. On the east coast at a certain price point people just keep dad's or grand pa's tractor. They may even put money in them to paint them not get them running. They do no sell them if the price is too low. The market here is different.

I know in the southeast right now a non running cub, engine not locked, with no equipment will bring $800.00 to $1000.00. Non running with some equipment will bring $1200 to $1500. Running with equipment will bring $1500 to $3000 depending on what it has with it. I have no problem buying something non running since I am going to go through it at some point anyway unless it has very good compression. I always spend way more on a project than it is worth so if I sell it at some pointI know I am going to lose money, but it is something I enjoy doing do I except it. When I find my cub it will be a keeper. Also want a N Ford since I grew up on these tractors.

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 am

Scrivet wrote:My main question though is if Cubs are so much more expensive there, and so much cheaper here, why isn't there trailers full of Cubs heading for the East Coast from the Midwest?????

They are heading there, only in pcs. !!!

I follow Cubs daily on ebay just watching for spare parts reasonable- Somebody ??? is paying those high prices for parts, You cant find a "deal" on anything Cub related like you could just 2-3 years ago when I got into them.

My question is with parts selling that high why does a fully restored tractor sell for so little, anywhere USA.?

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 6v - barn Queen
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:13 am

Scrivet wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:He'll get his price. If you check the going price on that areas craigslist ads he is way down on the lower end of what people are asking. In fact he is asking about half......
So your saying this is a $2,000 Cub on the East Coast and consensus is $500 to $800 for Midwest.
Lt.Mike wrote:.......As for why don't people make the drive cross country for the deal?
Cost of a shipping company could take away any savings as well...........
So if we over pay and give $1,000 here and haul it to the East Coast and sell it we'll double our money? I can fit two on my trailer so I can make $2,000 a trip. If I don't stay at the Four Seasons for a week, I think I can make that work. :D
What I think is, we are talking about extremes. Not all Cubs sell here for $500 and not all Cubs there sell for $2,000. There are plenty of $1,500-2,000 Cubs on Craigslist here. You see them because those are the ones that don't sell right away. The reasonably priced ones, here and there, get listed and sold quickly. Just like any other realistically priced item from a pair of boots to real estate.
Lt.Mike wrote:........Consider that and one may be better off biting the bullet paying the local price and being done with it.
"Being done with it" is probably the truest part of all this. People want instant gratification. I want a Cub I want it NOW! Stereotyping and from first hand experience people on the East Coast have more money and impatience than us midwesterners.

Yes, I truly believe your Cubs are more expensive. I just don't believe the gap is as big as you are thinking it is.

I think the market is smaller and more specialized in this area. You need some land ( or you are going for a parade Cub), a place to store it, both a real premium out here. But most important the people who are looking for a Cub have an interest in the Club - people who grew up with it. They want a Cub not just a tractor. If you need to cut a lot of grass you get a zero turn mower. If you really need a small tractor you get a Kubota or God forbid a JD. You could purchase a fleet of Cubs with attachments for what a 10-20 year old compact Kubota goes for in my area. Plus the inventory of Cubs is less. Most of the farms around where I grew up started getting developed in the late 60s early 70s and have continued to get developed. The tractors were sold off long ago. The prices and inventory are better in Lancaster and Hershey PA but not what you see in the the mid west.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 am

brewzalot wrote:My question is with parts selling that high why does a fully restored tractor sell for so little, anywhere USA.?

SouthernOutlaw explained that in the post just before yours.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 6v - barn Queen
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2

Postby inairam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 am

Scrivet wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:So if we over pay and give $1,000 here and haul it to the East Coast and sell it we'll double our money?

The arbitrage opportunity would really be great if you hauled Philly Cheesesteaks and Hoagies back. Make money both ways!

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Jim Becker wrote:SouthernOutlaw explained that in the post just before yours.

His post wasn't there when I started typing... :D

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Talk about stereotypes, wish that were true then I could replace my leaky roof, and maybe fix the rust in my 17 year old truck.
Not too cool chief, not at all.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”