This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Found year and compression!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Found year and compression!

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:57 pm

I took the spark plugs out of my cub and they looked dry,black and sooty. It also looks black and sooty when you look into the spark plug holes. But before that I started the engine to let it warm up a little and while doing this with the muffler off drops of stuff were hitting me from the exhaust pipe coming out of the manifold, wich I assume like I was told is water, or coolant. So I did my compression test. 1st cyl. 120psi 2nd cyl. 110psi. 3rd cyl. 110psi. 4th cyl. 100 psi. Then I added a little oil to each cyl. and got 1st cyl. 135psi. 2nd cyl. 130psi 3rd cyl. 145 psi. 4th cyl. 120psi.... So does this mean I need new rings? And what about the black soot? Should I start pulling the head apart and cleaning it up? Does it need a valve job while Im at it. And is the moisture coming in from the head gasket? You guys will probally think Im crazy that I dont know what Im doing wich is for the most part true... I did find out the year on my own though the namplate says its a 1949 and the engine block casting says the same. Im a fast learner and pretty mechanically inclined and willing to listen and learn so I look forward to everyones feedback....good or bad.... :D

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:19 pm

Jake
That's pretty good numbers on the "C" Test. Soot could be just crappy gas. Oil level good? color? intake manifold leaking?Hose on top of radiator leaking onto number 1# ,head gasket could be bad?White smoke go away after run-up?
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:21 pm

Jake, those compression readings sound real good. I think what I would do for now is to run some sea foam through the engine and see if it will clean out some of the carbon buildup. If you're really itching to turn some wrenches, pull the head, clean it up and check the surfaces for any possible cracks. Then replace the head gasket and torque the head down with new bolts.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

dont worry about rings?

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:18 pm

thanks guys...so i shouldnt worry about the compressiong going up a little because of adding the oil?...Also i have never heard of this "sea foam" can i get this at any auto parts store? I ll take the head of tomorrow and clead it up for something to do. Yes there probally was old gas in tank when i got it. Tank is also rusty and i will need to look into that next. I was looking through catalog of TM tractor parts and figured I should order a new head gasket, carb kit, points and condensor, and some small odds and ends. I will also need new headlights front and rear eventually and dont know where to go about finding them. The tractor has been converted to 12 volt. but Im in no hurry for this! One thing at a time...Am I on the right track about prepping for paint though? Should i Sandblast everything and then lightly sand? I have no idea...thanks...

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:25 pm

Jake, I think it is OK to sandblast individual components but would shy away from sandblasting the entire tractor as a unit. That grit gets into places you don't want it no matter how hard you try to keep it out.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:57 pm

Jake:

Compression is great and the compression should rise slightly when oil is added. I do not believe you need new rings or a valve job.

Slightly different opinion. Put fresh water in the radiator. If the head gasket is leaking you should see air bubbles rising in the radiator after the engine has been running for a short while.

If you see bubbles, water will drain into the cylinder(s) when/as the engine cools. You need to drain the radiator after running the engine.

Sea Foam is available at some auto parts stores along with 12 volt light bulbs.

Black sooty spark plugs = excess fuel.

Just thinking - If the head gasket were leaking or there was a crack in the head/block, compression should be lower on one or two cylinders.

I think I would do a little more investigation before I pulled the head.

When I first started my Cub, after sitting for 7 years, all kinds of crap including hazel nuts, came out the exhaust.

Eugene

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:20 am

Hey Jake...Your Compression is GREAT for a Cub! :wink: I would suspect that your oil pressure is right up there too? The Seafoam will help you out a lot when added REGULARLY to the oil & gas in your Cub.It will also CLEAN OUT your carburetor and probably smooth out your Cub's running too! :wink: I don't think you'll need to pull the head on your Cub just yet.

As you run your Cub and use it...you'll find it will probably RUN BETTER & BETTER! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:26 pm