This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Serial and date code don't match

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tractor Tom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Serial and date code don't match

Postby Tractor Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Thanks again for the warm welcome when I "officially" joined last week, I got a good chuckle out of some of the posts.

I was able to do some more work on my Cub this week and was finally able to get the engine serial number cleaned up enough to get a good look. The frame serial plate is missing so I thought this would be my best shot for an year ID but it seems a little strange. The engine serial is (FCUBM)238604V from 1972? but the casting code on several parts is a G (1961?). The sheet metal is more like early 60's machine. I also went back out and checked the casting letter on the engine, looks like an S (1971).

You guys think it was just a later model replacement engine? Also what does the V indicate?

BTW, pistons are .30 and R&M bearings .20
So many tractors, so little time......

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:59 pm

Sounds like the engine was changed. The V means the engine was equipped with exhaust valve rotators.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:37 pm

Jim
Did TRW come out with the exhaust rotators.I know old chevys had them.My IH 350 utility has them. When did they put them on the c-60?Was that a option or did the dealer put them on?After overhaul.That the first time I've heard of the "V" prefix. Thanks
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:35 pm

The "V" got stamped, when the rotocaps were installed at the factory. It's unlikely anyone would have stamped it if they were installed later. As far as I know, they were an option, never became standard. They were available by early '52, don't know how much before that.

Tractor Tom
10+ Years
10+ Years

V stamp

Postby Tractor Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks for the help Jim, by the way, the V is a slightly different size than the numbers leading me to think that it was added later at the factory. I plan on pulling the valves out next week and lapping them, anything I should know about servicing valves with rotators?
So many tractors, so little time......

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:59 pm

May have been stamped at a different time during assembly or maybe their number and letter stamps just happened to be slightly different sizes.

Valve springs with rotators are different from the ones without. So keep straight which is which. Otherwise, nothing special to be concerned with.

Return to “Farmall Cub”