This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Warped carburetor solutions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Warped carburetor solutions

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:32 am

I pulled the leaky carb off the '51 over the weekend and it looks like the top is a little bit warped. This might explain some of the leaking.

Problem is I don't have one of those fancy machined plates to straighten the top out on. I don't have anything to make one out of, or anything to make it with for that matter.

Plus I'm not to keen on messing with that idle tube. I tried to remove it when I was rebuilding the carb and it just didn't want to come out.

Are there other techniques for straightening the carb?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Warped carburetor solutions

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:48 am

Matt, Before someone came up with the idea of a flattening jig, George Willer milled a few flat. Lurker Carl did a power point (which I think is still under "Rudi's Manuals") on using a file. Those techniques removed metal to solve the problem instead of reshaping the top. You might consider just mailing it to someone to flatten.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:13 am

It was a little crude, but I have straightened a couple by removing the gasket and reassembling using a washer or two between the halve at each bolt and then using a large vise to squeeze it together between the screws. It took a couple tries to get it right, and I cannot claim it was a perfect job, but it was close enough for the gasket to seal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 pm

When I originally posted this thread I should have asked if anyone with a jig was willing to straighten this for me... I guess I thought I was going to get to it right away and couldn't wait around.

Six weeks later, and the carb is still sitting on my bench in pieces!

Would anyone with a carb straightening plate be willing to let me send them this carb for straightening?

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Matt , send it to me with return postage and I will do it for you , if you don't get a closer offer.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Matt,

I can help you out.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”