This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

voltage regulator replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Des
10+ Years
10+ Years

voltage regulator replacement

Postby Des » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:58 pm

I have a 1951 Cub. It is all original. I am trying to replace the voltage regulator but the replacement I got has four terminals instead of three. There is a length of wire and a seperate resister included that is to mount 4 terminal regulator in place of the three wire. The problem is that nowhere in the instructions does it say what the wire and resister connect to. Any ideas where it goes to?

Thanks,

Des

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:13 pm

Since your original was a 3 wir3, I asusme it was probably a cut out rather than a regulaotr. Was it mounted on the generator? if so the wire and resister probalby goes to the F terminal of the genrerator. there is now a wire going to the light switch form the F terminal, and I think you would need to disconnect that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Des
10+ Years
10+ Years

Regulator

Postby Des » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:38 am

The regulator that is mounted now is on a mounting plate on the right side of the engine by the coil. I do not know if it is a cutout or a regulator.

Wireharness
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Regulator

Postby Wireharness » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:01 am

Des wrote:The regulator that is mounted now is on a mounting plate on the right side of the engine by the coil. I do not know if it is a cutout or a regulator.

Your 1951 Cub came from the factory with a Regulator mounted on the side of the block as you describe. All tractors with relays had them mounted on the top of the generator.

Be sure to polarize the system after you have all connections made just before you start the tractor
Wireharness

Des
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Des » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:00 am

I remember from years ago having to polarize the generator. I am still in doubt as to the 4th terminal and the wire , resister and connectors. The mounted regulator has 3 terminals F, G, and B. The new one has 4 terminals, Bat, F, L, and Gen. Is the L for lights? Which terminal is the wire with the resister for ?

In checking the various regulators for the cub at the parts store. I found out the following. The regulator I got is 6Volt positive ground. It is the same regulator the parts book ( Car Quest ) lists for the later model "low boy". The difference is the additional wire and resister which the book states is needed to convert from the three wire regulator ( which is not available according to Car Quest). The instructions that came with the regulator make no reference to the included wire and resister.

Any ideas?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:12 am

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Des
10+ Years
10+ Years

regulator

Postby Des » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:27 am

That wiring diagram appears to cover the the terminals good but it doesn't show the resister that was with the regulator. Is it not needed or used ? Thanks for all your assistance. This forum is a big help to me.

Des

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:48 am

I don't think it's needed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:34 pm

I think the confusion comes from the existing regulator on your tractor, which was probably a replacement. Install your new regulator per the referenced diagram on ATIS and forget about the wire with ther resistor.

Des
10+ Years
10+ Years

Regulator

Postby Des » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 pm

Boy do I feel stupid! I took the old regulator off and found out it was a 4 terminal. The 4th terminal was on the bottom of the regulator. I believe I found out why it wouldn't charge. The family I got it from were the original owners, but it had been in a garage for 20 years since the grandfather passed away. Someone back then must have put a new regulator in but got the wires all mixed up. The wire from the ammeter went to ground! He had another wire he ran from the Battery terminal on the starter to the same terminal that was grounded. There were two other leads crossed on the regulator. I am surprised the tractor ran. I am even more surprised that it didn't burn up the wiring when I did run it.

Thanks again

Des

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:06 am

I believe you still need to 'polarize' the generator after you get done wiring (disconnect almost any of those wires).

To do that merely jump (wire stripped at both ends) the Bat terminal and the Gen terminal (hope I have that right). If the drawing is correct, it would be the same as my 12V one and be the center terminal to the only one on the other side.

I just fired up my 50 tonight and noticed that it wasn't charging! MMMM I polarized it and it still ain't charging. (could be because I just took a battery charger off it??)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)