This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Steering box

Postby Ian D » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello Folks
I have asked about this before but just looking for more suggestions!
I have play between the steering worm gear and big gear on my Cub - some suggest filling the box with grease to take up the play?

I did take the casting and gears etc to a gear cutting company but as the worm is part of the shaft is would be far too expensive to cut a new worm/shaft

I am restoring this Cub to a vey high standard and I dont want free play in the steering - I have had the steering wheel key-way repaired and re-cut and I have bought a new steering wheel so everything is good up until the drive

Any suggestions would be very much welcomed!
Thank you

Ian
Scotland
UK

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering box

Postby Clip » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I think some members use corn head grease from JD because it flows better but is still very thick. Most use grease as gear lube runs out through the worn seals too easily, especially after everything is cleaned. I've refilled mine with a 140w gear oil and some Lucas gear oil additive. It's very thick, makes the steering remarkably smooth but still has some backlash and leaks enough to make the steering bolster look wet. I would recommend against using grease as it is near impossible to get out once it's in there. Stick with what was originally intended and make sure to get good sealing surfaces. Also remember to keep the breather on the fill plug unclogged and you won't build pressure when warm, reducing chances of leakage.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Rotating the big gear half a turn will sometimes help.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Ian, This may have been asked in an earlier post, but do you have both bronze bushings on the steering shaft (above and below the gear), and are the three in the steering box in good shape?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:37 am

Hi,
I never had a new Cub, maybe someone reading here bought one new and remembers how much free play the steering had at the steering wheel. They might never have been made with no free play at the steering wheel, I don't know. :)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 am

Grease won't help with the play/lost motion but I refuse to use gear oil in a steering box. I prefer corn head grease.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:48 am

Not trying to get this thread off-topic, but would corn head grease be suitable to use in a bush hog gearbox with leaking seals?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:10 am

Don McCombs wrote:Not trying to get this thread off-topic, but would corn head grease be suitable to use in a bush hog gearbox with leaking seals?
Many people do, also in the gear boxes of rotary mowers. It will still leak, but not nearly as bad. Tractor Supply sells cotton spindle grease which I believe is the same thing, though many stores do not stock it. If you order it on line it is still cheaper than buying from many places, even when you include shipping.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:42 am

TSC's cotton spindle grease is the next step thinner than Deere's corn head grease, NLGI grade 00 vs. grade 0.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:06 pm

The cotton spindle grease sounds like just the ticket. It can be poured into the gear case instead of being pumped in. I'll see if our TSC has it. I doubt it, since there's not much cotton grown here in Mountain Maryland. :D Thanks, guys.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you all
I have had the top and bottom bushings and shaft measured and there is only 1-3 thou clearance so it would appear the shaft/bushings wear is minimal
I have the big core plug out of the front and I can look right in and see the back-lash when I rotate the steering input shaft left/right
The problem if I call it that - is the worm drive connecting with the big gear - it appears not be neat in connection
I have rotated the big gear on every different position on the splines but it makes little difference - it must have been rotated before - in fact it is worse in some positions as others
My wife works at our local JD dealer so I will get her to enquire about this corn head grease and I will also look on the internet
The challenge continues!
Regards
Ian

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Changing to corn head grease may reduce leakage out of the bottom of the gearbox, but I doubt it will make a measurable reduction in backlash. Have you eliminated all end play in both shafts?

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Would another steering shaft be a possibility? I realize a used shaft is also somewhat a pig in a poke, unless you can buy from a very reputable reseller. Also, your location adds to the difficulty. But it might still be possible to find one with less wear.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:09 pm

How many tubes of cornhead grease does it take for the steering box? I'm going to give it a try in the Cub and 8N. Thanks, John

Return to “Farmall Cub”