This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

antifreeze in oil on 47 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: antifreeze in oil on 47 Cub

Postby bob in CT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:32 am

rule4 wrote:I did get a chance to grab some Permatex blue threadlocker this morning

DO NOT USE THREAD LOCKER!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:57 am

bob in CT wrote:
rule4 wrote:I did get a chance to grab some Permatex blue threadlocker this morning

DO NOT USE THREAD LOCKER!!!
I missed that comment earlier, but as Bob stated, do NOT use thread locker on the head bolts. There is no danger of them loosening, only leaking. If you replace the head bolts make sure you grade 9 or IH head bolts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:27 am

You will not be able to properly re-torque the head gasket with thread locker. I suggested, as did Tim, a Teflon (PTFE- Teflon is a trade name) paste that does not harden. Thread locker is the polar opposite.

If the gasket starts leaking due to the lack of a re-torque, you will need to chase those threads out with a tap and wire brush the bolts clean. Hopefully, you used the spray copper on the gasket as that may help keep it sealed without re-torquing the cylinder head, but I never take that chance.

The horse appears to be out of the barn on this. If it does not leak, fine. However, I am laying this out for anyone in the future that may find this thread as a lurker and potentially choose a thread locking compound.

rule4
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby rule4 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:34 pm

:shock:

... I used thread lock, at least its removable or it was labeled as such but I definitely used thread lock. I was unaware hat thread lock and thread sealant were two entirely different products.

New gaskets, plugs, wires, manifold, exhaust, radiator hose, cleaned the carb... I was going to grease all the fittings put on the chains and declare it ready for another winter of plowing. I ran it a little last night and it was like a brand new machine. It had never run so smoothly before.

I was pretty happy with everything until I logged on this evening and saw this. At least I used copper gasket spray on the gaskets.

Return to “Farmall Cub”