This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Tuning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carburetor Tuning

Postby cub.bub » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

She looks Great! You'll have a lot of fun with it! I know i do.
Bruce.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

red78 wrote:My next project is going to be to build a self-propelled snowblower for the front. I want her to throw snow over the telephone poles if we ever get snow up here again.
Not sure what your plan for the snow blower is.

Consider that the standard Cub only has 3 forward gears. For some applications, such as powering a garden tiller, even in 1st gear, the tractor ground speed is to fast for the task. The PTO operates at engine RPMs. So if you are planning on powering the snow blower with the Cub's PTO, you need to keep the engine RPMs up. Meaning the ground speed will probably be to fast for the snow blower to efficiently operate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Eugene wrote:
red78 wrote:My next project is going to be to build a self-propelled snowblower for the front. I want her to throw snow over the telephone poles if we ever get snow up here again.
Not sure what your plan for the snow blower is.

Consider that the standard Cub only has 3 forward gears. For some applications, such as powering a garden tiller, even in 1st gear, the tractor ground speed is to fast for the task. The PTO operates at engine RPMs. So if you are planning on powering the snow blower with the Cub's PTO, you need to keep the engine RPMs up. Meaning the ground speed will probably be to fast for the snow blower to efficiently operate.

When I read that, I assumed he meant "self-powered" rather than "self-propelled" as the latter wouldn't make sense attached to the Cub. If self-powered and the Cub is just used to move it, it could work quite well.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi,
The Cub looks Good. Just wanted to say the rear tires are directional, you have the left one on backwards in your picture, I can't see if the right one is too. They don't pull good being on backwards, they spin easily, from my experience with it.
The rims come off the wheel centers, it is made to adjust to different widths. Pick a width you like, with the wheel centers dish turned in or out, and put the rims on with the tire tread pointed ahead would be better.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing the different widths. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-46.jpg

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:32 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:
red78 wrote:International Cub 1978 #252520
You're posting on the right forum.
This information indicates that your Cub is a "NEW" International Cub .......
Here's the link to an old post with information about the changes at 1975 and the introduction of the "NEW INTERNATIONAL CUB". I found it very interesting. And as shown, Red was a factory color. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75606&hilit=red+longstripe+cub
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

red78
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 96141

Postby red78 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:03 am

Yeah. I know the wheels are backward at the moment. I had the flip the wheels to fit it on the trailer. I realized after they were backwards but it works for now. I'll switch them over the weekend probably.

Flyboy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80421

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Mine is a 48 Cub. I picked it up in Kansas and brought it up to my place at 9000 feet. I soaked it in Chem Tool for a few days and cleaned out the passages. It runs great with no smoke up here using the original parts.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:01 am

red78 wrote:Yeah. I know the wheels are backward at the moment. ...........
In my opinion, that's the totally wrong way of addressing this.
Correct answer is "No, they are not on backwards, I intentionally mounted them like that because I needed better traction backing off the trailer!" :shock: :lol:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:54 am

Nice Cub! I have it's twin.

Just a thought, I (and many others) are a fan of just swapping out the points for 'electronic ignition' with a Pertronix setup. Turns out the problem with my Lo Boy is points that are completely worn out (no contact surface) so that problem will be solved. My 70 had points that were broken! It's a fairly easy project, easier than setting points in my opinion.

For snow removal; a Cub makes a great plowing machine, weights and chains (harder to find for 9.5 tires) work well. For snowblowing, get an old Gravely walk behind (L) or rider.... they are snow cannons! 'Grandpa' up in Northern NY did an awesome job of rigging a self-powered snowblower on a Cub. There should be pictures somewhere on the board.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)