This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub governor slots for mag drive

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tfleming
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16316
Tractors Owned: All the F-series tractors and LA/LB and M series engines.

1949 Cub governor slots for mag drive

Postby tfleming » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:41 pm

I just ran into an unusual situation. Replaced the impulse on a J4 for a 1947 cub for a guy. For whatever reason, the drive pins on the coupler are too big. I had to grind them down to fit into the slot in the governor drive. I am NOT a Cub expert, so let's get that on the table up front. My question is, has anyone else run into this?

Oh and another thing. When the impulse failed and locked up, it scattered the cam gear and sheared the key. :shock: I am going to have to pull the front cover now to see how bad the damage is. Hopefully, it is just the gear and the key, not the cam itself. The remaining cam gear hub is spinning freely on the cam itself, and there isn't anything left of the teeth. I can turn the crank over fine, and I don't feel any grinding or such, so I am hoping after I get the front cover off, the remains of the cam gear didn't chew anything else up. Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.
Crops are GREEN , tractors are RED, all others need not apply......

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1949 Cub governor slots for mag drive

Postby tst » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:17 pm

make sure to pull the oil pan to get all the debris

tfleming
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16316
Tractors Owned: All the F-series tractors and LA/LB and M series engines.

Re: 1949 Cub governor slots for mag drive

Postby tfleming » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Agreed about pulling the pan. I am not sure what I am going to find when I get the front cover off. I told the owner about the issues, and he ended up asking me if I wanted it. I bought it for $500. it has front and rear wheel weights. IH 48" mower. hydraulics. I now need to decide whether to part it out, or fix it. I already have a working cub, so I don't really need 2 of them. However, at $500, I didn't think I would get hurt too badly if the engine is worse than just the cam gear. I have the mag fixed and working just fine.
Crops are GREEN , tractors are RED, all others need not apply......

Return to “Farmall Cub”