This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Throw out bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Throw out bearing

Postby Dave F. » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Don't want to start a war here, But what is every one using for throw out bearings Graphite Or Roller bearing? & where can i get a GOOD one. I notice the one's that TM. has are made in china now.
Thanks Dave F.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Throw out bearing

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:32 pm

I use the graphite throw out bearing. Last one was purchased from IH dealership. Still working.

Previously purchased a graphite throw out bearing, but not from IH. The graphite puck came loose in the cast iron holder.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Roller bearing TOB's on a Cub is like using an EZ out. They sound good until you stop and really think them through. (So you twist off a bolt, drill a hole in it and insert an even SMALLER piece of metal, then EXPECT it to not twist off :? )

One of the best discussion/explanations on roller vs graphite TOB's is in this thread.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87240&p=695143&hilit=+roller#p695143

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Scrivet wrote:Roller bearing TOB's on a Cub is like using an EZ out. They sound good until you stop and really think them through. (So you twist off a bolt, drill a hole in it and insert an even SMALLER piece of metal, then EXPECT it to not twist off :? )

One of the best discussion/explanations on roller vs graphite TOB's is in this thread.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87240&p=695143&hilit=+roller#p695143

I am going to throw my 2 pennies in the ring. I had a roller bearing style on my cub for some time (PO installed it) i never had any problems with the bearing itself, but it sure did eat up the clutch fingers. After the second split and second set of fingers ( yes, im that hard headed) I decided it was time to go traditional. New clutch and new graphite bearing. So far, its smoother than it EVER was with the roller bearing. And just to let you know, I replaced the adjustment bolts with grade 5 allen head bolts, and set the finger height with a dial caliper, as well as locktite on the jam nuts..... and I STILL could never keep the fingers in adjustment with a roller style bearing.

Bhaeck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 88220
Tractors Owned: 1964 Cub Lo-Boy Aurburn trencher #18199

Postby Bhaeck » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:01 am

Ok about to start replacing clutch on my cub but see most full kits are 160-200$ yet Hamilton bobs is only 86$ am I missing something why such a huge price difference. What kit do you all recommend ?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:13 am

Bhaeck wrote:What kit do you all recommend ?
None. Do not order parts until you have split the Cub and inspected the parts.

You probably only need the throw out bearing. Perhaps you need to replace the disk, if so I would replace the pilot shaft bushing.

Suggest not replacing the pressure plate. My opinion, the foreign made, new pressure plates are junk and prone to breakage.

Why the price difference? Check the parts list for the kits being offered.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bhaeck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 88220
Tractors Owned: 1964 Cub Lo-Boy Aurburn trencher #18199

Postby Bhaeck » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Fair enough .. I checked parts list same parts all looked like graphite not roller but yes will split first

Return to “Farmall Cub”