This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie Cub PTO Repair Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48357

Newbie Cub PTO Repair Question

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:05 pm

I recently acquired the 1954 Cub and implements that belonged to my late father-in-law and am hoping to fix it up for my son to use at his new home. The tractor is in generally good/operable condition but for the fact the PTO jumps out of gear when under load. Thanks to all the helpful posts on this site I'm reasonably certain the problem is a worn "finger" or stud on the shift lever that engages the PTO shift collar. Looking down through the tranny fill hole I can slide the collar 1/8 inch or so front/rear without contacting this stud or producing movement of the PTO shift lever. So I'll be pulling the PTO shaft and will replace the PTO shift lever (parts 351287R11, 351968R1, 351969R1, 351970R31) and, depending on what I find, the shift collar as well. While I've found several posts about removing and/or installing the PTO shaft, however, I'm not sure of how to go about removing/replacing the shift lever once the shaft is out. Looking at various parts illustrations it appears the "handle," spring and collar of the shift lever is held on to the shaft (horizontal part) by a cotter pin which, when removed, will free the shaft to slide inboard into the casting. Are there any hints, cautions or tricks I should be aware of, however, in either removing the old shifter shaft or installing a new one? I'd hate for something to drop into some inaccessible area and create a bigger problem! I apologize if this question is answered elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any advice, including anything else folks would recommend checking out or servicing while I've got the PTO shaft out!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie Cub PTO Repair Question

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:48 pm

You will have to remove the PTO Retainer (on the rear) held on with 7 (I think) bolts to remove the PTO shaft. I also remove the large PTO Adapter for more hand room and to clean everything out better. Just will need to have/make an extra gasket. Then you can remove the Shift Lever, which must come out from the inside. You are right about how to disconnect the outside Rod and Guide by removing the cotter pin, to separate it from the shift lever. There MAY still be a felt seal in the hole the shifter goes through. Hang on to it...not made anymore. (If it is missing you can make one, though)

If you do a search, there are several posts on this, or check out the service manuals (Links above - either PDF Manuals or Rudi's Manuals). Ask more questions if you run into any difficulties. It's not that bad a job..... until you try to get the PTO shaft back in...takes a bit of finesse and patience!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”