This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flush Touch Control

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39120

Flush Touch Control

Postby cavingreer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:55 am

Did a quick search through the forums and didn't see a definitive answer on this. My touch control is working but it's a little noisy and jerky so I figured it's probably low on fluid or needs changing. Just pulled the fill plug and it's definitely low because I can stick my pinky through and feel below the level of the plug and there's no fluid in reach. Also the plug and inside the housing is black and dirty. So can the system be flushed out with diesel or something or only Hy-Tran? What's the best procedure for flushing it?
IT Guy by day, Rockstar by night, Amateur tractor restorer on occasion 8)
1949 Farmall Cub #94459 - Restoration Thread
"Organized chaos is better than no chaos at all"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Flush Touch Control

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:40 am

If you remove it from the tractor, the entire bottom plate comes off. You can wash it and also clean the screen in it. (Screen may have fallen apart. I've seen a few, like that.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:53 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:If you remove it from the tractor, the entire bottom plate comes off. You can wash it and also clean the screen in it. (Screen may have fallen apart. I've seen a few, like that.
Ed

I'd second that. If you've had it a long time w/o any sort of maintenance, or it's new to you w/o any knowledge of maintenance, then removing it and doing a thorough clean-up and replacement of fluid would be essential to proper operation. Check out the Service and Owner's manuals for further information as well as the How To Forum for step-by-steps.

Hood will need to come off and the ammeter tower sufficiently loosened or removed to get to the rear mounting bolts.

Let us know the outcome... :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi,
The owner's manual says use only Hy-Tran fluid to flush the system, since the pump needs the fluid for lubrication.
You need to check the fluid with the arms in the fully rear, or down position, the fluid rises in the unit as the arms go rearward. There is an air space in the top of the unit. If you fill it with the arms ahead or up, you will overfill the system.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how to fill it and remove the air from the system. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4 to remove the air. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-67.jpg

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 pm

I really don't want to pull it off the tractor at this time. I did look at the procedure in the manual and bought a gallon of Hy-Tran today. I'll just do the drain/bleed/fill procedure and make sure it's at the right level and see how it continues to perform.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Before you fill the touch control take a close look at where your engine oil level is on the dipstick. If the touch control level goes down again, check to see if the engine oil level has come up any. When the touch control level goes down it has to go somewhere and it's very common for the pump shaft seal to go bad and to leak into the engine oil.

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 pm

It's not leaking out. My engine oil level is constant and clean. Plus I just pulled the drain plug and found this yucky mess.
Attachments
2015-09-17 14.55.50.jpg

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:35 pm

cavingreer wrote:I just pulled the drain plug and found this yucky mess.

That is nasty looking. You might fill with the cheapest ATF you can find and operate it a few cycles, drain and refill with real Hy-Tran.

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 pm

I flushed it with a combination of diesel and hy-tran first then a couple runs of just hy-tran and got it pretty clear then filled it according to the manual. Working great!

Return to “Farmall Cub”