This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear rim to center bolting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear rim to center bolting

Postby Urbish » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 am

Unless you are concerned about originality, I think you would be safe replacing with coarse square head bolts and using nylock (plastic locking element) or stover (all metal locking) lock nuts.
Jim

Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 am

You are confusing initial clamping load with the residual tensile strength of the rusted bolt. But, people are welcome to do what they want no matter what the factory concluded was necessary to avoid liability. :wink:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Don B. wrote:I have the new bolts. But there seems to be another piece that goes in the rim and engages a little slot in the side of the rim bracket. I think that without that piece, the bolt would pass right through.

You would be correct.

That third piece keys into the u-shaped piece, and the flat piece. Then the whole assembly is riveted to the rim. You can't just replace the missing piece without removing the entire lug assembly from the rim. I don't think that piece is available separately anyway.

One of my rims has that broken out. What I ended up doing was using a longer hex bolt and washer. New aftermarket rims use a carriage bolt.

Don B.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 25314
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub (looks pretty)
1951 Cub (does the work)
1952 Cub (sold)

Postby Don B. » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks, Matt! That makes sense.
The remedy you describe is what had been done by a previous owner.
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi,
As often as the 4 bolts holding the rims on loosen up by themselves, using the Cub, I would think IH would have put lock washers on them, under the nuts. Seems like it would have mostly solved the problem of them loosening.
The bolts they came with are almost too short to put lock washers on though. :)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:30 am

bob in CT wrote:You are confusing initial clamping load with the residual tensile strength of the rusted bolt. But, people are welcome to do what they want no matter what the factory concluded was necessary to avoid liability. :wink:

I'm not too concerned with "initial clamping load", Since the newest cub i ever drove, was already 8 years old,and most were closer to 60 years old. Residual tensile strength is important to me, as I prefer a wheel doesn't fall off, when I drive my "new to me" cub, off the trailer.
Also, all of the aftermarket rims come with coarse thread carriage bolts. If this was an issue, Tom would have pulled them from his inventory, until a safe replacement, could be found. I haven't heard of one catastrophic failure with the new rims.
I have had the fine thread nuts, loosen,. causing the "clunk" that new cub owners question, as wheel bearing failure.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety