This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

electrical tune-up kit

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

electrical tune-up kit

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I've been searching the web for a tune-up kit for my 1976 cub. I've found several kits available but each of them state their kit is for 1962 and below and others state they are for Delco distributors. I believe everything on this cub is original. Does anybody have a vendor they would recommend and a part number for a complete kit? Thanks Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Re: electrical tune-up kit

Postby randallc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:04 am

Well, since you got a new model, I'm not sure. I normally order individual parts needed and have not looked for a "kit". But then my newest cub is a 61. TM tractors is a good place to start.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:27 am

It is the same as any normal Cub, IH distributor. Virtually all 4 cyl IH tractors used the same parts. You can get them at NAPA or a dealer. But be warned, the quality is not what it used to be, although the last rotor I got a NAPA was 'Made in USA'.

Just to throw you a curve, you may want to consider switching to electronic ignition. Pertronics 12v can be had for about $100 and there is no adjusting or filing points, EVER. The only downside is there is another wire coming out of the distributor and after an EMP your Cub won't run. If I have to replace points, that's what goes in my Cubs.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:51 am

I purchase individual tractor ignition parts from the local auto parts store. Common ignition parts are in stock. Counter personnel let me compare the old part to the new one.

Concur with Randallc. Normally you won't need all of the parts contained in a "kit".
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:01 pm

99.99% chance it has a normal IH distributor. Never seen one with a Delco, as the Delcos usually are mounted vertically, and there wouldn't be enough room on a Cub I'd think. Also possible is a Prestolite, but not common. Distributors did wear out and could get damaged, so they were occasionally replaced.

Both the Delco and Prestolite would have a tag on them.

Frankly I use the Tractor Supply tune up kits and they work fine for me. The problem is in this day and age all the stuff is made in the same Chinese factory to the same mediocre quality standard. Whether it says Tisco or Napa on the package it's the same thing. May as well get it from the cheapest source.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:05 pm

I do have an original IH 'tune up' kit, points and condenser (actually a couple) that I will not likely use. PM me if you are interested.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 pm

whats an EMP?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:24 pm

EMP+ electromagnetic pulse

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:37 pm

ok thanks, Buzzard wing said it wont run if you have one, so what do you have to do to get it running again?
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:42 pm

The little bit I know about EMP is that they can be caused by solar flares, nuclear explosions, and if it exists, an EMP weapon. No idea what the fix is. I'm not too worried about the need to know.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby john2189 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:44 pm

ok thanks
'49 Cub (Vince)
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:14 pm

The short answer is after an EMP essentially nothing (electronic) will work, so your Cub with electronic ignition not running will be the least of your problems because nothing else will work anyway.

Not really a good reason to rule out electronic ignition. It works well, will never wear out (non-contact) and never needs adjustment. You should save the old parts in case you ever want to return the Cub to original.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was able to purchase what I wanted to replace at my only local parts store. The price was a little higher but I didn't have to wait for shipping and had the opportunity to make a side-by-side part comparison before I left the store. Since I've never removed a distributor before, I wanted to expand my knowledge, I read the "How to remove/install the distributor with out having to re-time the engine". This seemed simple enough, even a cave man could do it, I thought. First, I checked the gap and replaced the plugs, made up new plug wires and replaced the dist. cap. At this point I started it up hoping the missing problem I had would be eliminated. Wrong! I then proceeded to remove the distributor. ( located the timing marks on the crank pulley and noted where the rotor was pointed) After a couple of light taps it broke lose and as it came off I noticed huge amount of grease in the housing. As I attempted to wipe remove the grease a gear/coupler/shaft also slide out. I didn't remember reading about this or else I would have exercised caution. I thought I put it back like it was and proceeded to replace the points, condenser and rotor button. As I believed I was ready to re-install the dist. I turned the rotor button to it's previous position and after a few attempts it slide back in place. I was anxious to connect the wires to the coil and fire it up. ????? Well, it didn't start and as it was supper time I decided to call it a day. This morning I've re-read the "How-to's" again and am ready to continue. In retrospect, I think I may have inserted the coupler shaft the wrong way, if that's possible. I'm ready to continue this morning and I hope this story has a happy ending. Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Papa's Cub » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm

:oops: When I got to the shed this morning, I first checked the positive post on the coil with a test light. Next, I got all of the tools needed and placed them on the running board within easy reach. As I stood there dreading the task at hand I decided to try to start it one more time. Out of habit I reached under the tank to turn the gas on .... then it hit me. I remembered turning the gas off and letting it burn dry before I began replacing parts. Allowing time for the gas to fill the carb, it fired up on the first try. It was ready to mow again. Unfortunately it has started to drizzle rain and is supposed to continue most of the day.
Now might be the right time to overhaul the hydraulic pump. The kit is on the shelf waiting on a time like today. Thanks for all of the replies, Tom.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:25 pm

There are two types of Cub owners. Ones who HAVE attempted to start their Cub with the fuel shut off, and those who WILL. You just moved from the second group, to the first group. Welcome to the club. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor