This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

And then the knocking!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43523
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

And then the knocking!

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Finally got the loader put on my cub. I've had it a few years and finally found the time to get it on. 2 cinder block, nine 2x6's and jack, wheel dolly and some pipes later, it was on. Then the hydraulics took a few trips to Napa but it was done. I drove the little cub home from the shop about 4 miles in second gear half throttle. Didn't break any land speed records but got it home safely. I made three test scoops ( about 10 lbs of dirt a piece ) and it started making a horrible noise. Uhhh! Idled it back up to the house and got off to listen. It is there a loud knocking from the lower end. What a bummer. Do you guys think I can open the oil pan and replace the bearings without a split or removing the loader? This really bums me because for the 15 mins using the loader it was worth the wait and time it took to put it on. I'd just rather not do it again so soon.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: And then the knocking!

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 pm

It is possible to replace rod and main bearings without splitting the tractor. You won't know if that will correct the knocking until you try it or check for other causes before investing in the parts and time.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Before you tear the engine down look at the clutch fingers.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:40 pm

If you're using the cub hydraulics,check your hydraulics if it screamed at you along with a knock( of course also a bearing could spin)….And you can change the bearings if you can get the pan off.( not sure of how you braced the loader)…But as has been posted check out the source the best you can first…Does the knock subside when you let the clutch out (under load) If so its a good sign of a rod bearing….(things tighten up)….My 2 cents…Dave …Good luck :D
In Memory of 58,286

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:46 pm

I just started it up and it sounded like a metal on metal no oil sound. I did listen when I pushed in the clutch and it didn't seem to differ. The hydraulics sounded fine and worked to pick the arm up to move. The one thing I did notice is when shutting it off it stops very quickly. Just like an e-stop on electric motors. Hopefully I can sit down and figure out the picture thing so I can show you all what I find. But by the sounds of it its something serious. Another thing I did notice when I started it it fired right up but was kind of shrieky then stopped. Oil was clean when I checked it just now. Thanks for the suggestions and advise. Does anyone know if Rick Prentiss is still around. I don't live far from him. I was thinking about asking him if he had time to listen and give his thoughts.
Thanks again all.

P.s. I think every cub own should be part of this group. Ton of knowledge.

Kurt

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Engine oil pressure?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Kurt, Rick isn't on the forum very often. I think you'll probably need to call him if you have his phone #.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:22 pm

I didnt look at the gauge for oil pressure. However that is definatly crossed my mind. Is it a good idea to start it up again to check? The tractor sat for about 3 years with a cooling problem. Earlier this year i had the radiator off and clean the bolster and the block. That was all resolved and I never overheated the motor prior to. Thinking of the history of the tractor and knowing it came from the original owner via his grandson that never used it, ( I think he had it for a couple of days at his place before I bought it ) it probably is worst case senario. I was planning on restoring both the loader and tractor in the winter. But we moved and i have to get the new shop built. The hardest part about that is the wifes approval of the placement on the property. The pile of dirt from the old pool is the future site of the barn. I think it could be awhile before shes up and running though. :censored:

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:24 am

Is the cooling fan hitting the shroud and/or does the fan hub need oiling?

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:41 am

Bill E Bob wrote:Is the cooling fan hitting the shroud and/or does the fan hub need oiling?
…..Fan just seized up on my mowing cub…Bill E Bob might be on to something…It shared some of your symptoms…Dave
In Memory of 58,286

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Daddysbabybearcub wrote:Is it a good idea to start it up again to check?

I can't recommend starting it up again. However, you could pull the oil filter cover and crank her over with the ignition off, to see if the pump is pumping oil. This won't definitively answer the pressure question, but if oil is not coming out of the hole at the back, it makes bearing problems more probable.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Another thing to check, and it could be along shot, but I would double check that the hydraulics are hooked up correctly and you're not putting too much pressure on the pump. Hydraulics are a little tricky on the Cub, so if you have something dead-headed, you could be really working the pump. The only reason I'm suggesting this is because you just hooked up the loader. However, the pump runs off the cam gear, so if you're working it too hard, it could cause some of the issues you mention.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:06 pm

I did drain the oil today. Looked fine no real discoloration or anything out of the norm. Took off the flywheel cover and inspection cover too. So far the oil is fine, the fan hub is fine and free, the clutch feels altogether, and the throwout bearing is do for replacement. After that I checked for broken valve springs and such. I think with some extra cribbing and some thought behind it, I can split it without detaching it from the rear section of the tractor. I have to support the front of the loader frame to remove the bracket to get the oil pan off. I tried to roll the engine over by hand ( without a crank ) which usually is easy and it seemed kind of tight at spots. I'll put new oil in it and try to roll it over to check if oil comes out the into the filter area. The hydro hook ups are correct as per the manual. I had to back the tractor into the garage and lift the boom to do it and it didn't sound abnormal. I will know more when I get the pan off. Does anyone know how difficult it is to roll in new main bearings? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Daddysbabybearcub wrote:...... Thanks for all the suggestions.
Here's my suggestion; The time you spend now removing the loader will make your engine work go much quicker, you will be working safer, your blood pressure will not go up as much, you will use fewer "choice" words, the grass will be greener, the sky bluer, and the cold beverage of your choice will be that much more refreshing. Besides, it'll go back on that much quicker now that you have all the pieces and know where everything goes.

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Taking the loader off does seem to make the most sense. The last thing I need is Murphys law to play out to the T. Is there any way that a seal in the hydro pump could have pushed that oil into the crank case? Someone I know threw that out there as well. Thanks for all the help. I will let you know what I find. :thanx: