This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

help Adding anti-freeze to tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: help Adding anti-freeze to tires

Postby ricky racer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:15 pm

I hang 800 + pounds on my "underpowered" Cub and added additional chain cross links to my tire chains. If I had more ambition, I'd load the tires too.

Using a light weight tractor to push snow, sometime 2' deep, requires additional weight to maintain traction and eliminate slippage. Properly weighted and with grippy shoes on, the little Cub is a bear when it comes to pushing snow.:wink:

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:36 pm

NJ Farmer wrote:I never really considered a 10 HP tractor a real FARM tractor!

Careful dude.....

I have never thought a Super A--140 needed fluid weight if it had iron weights already, which 99% of them in these parts do. I moldboard plow with Old Ugly and I have never experienced traction problems. For goodness sake though if you add fluid, use antifreeze! I have a white demo Super A whose rear rims are pretty near trashed because of calcium chloride..... :evil: :evil:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Not sure about the underpowered or too small to farm with..... but then again I live on a island (technically Rhode Island) in a state the size of an iceberg or forest fire. Everything I do is 'small' in the scheme of things. I mow trails and small fields, both rocky. I mow the top and earth ramps on structures. I have mowed, plowed and disked a garden in the city; all in the same day, after work.

Name one machine that will do all those things as cheaply as a Cub.... Nearest I can can see, it doesn't exist. Although I do envy the speed of zero-turn mowers, one would scalp the heck out of what I do. And I have yet to see one snowplow. Or be as comfortable on the ride back and forth to Fort Adams. And still all the Cubs I own are less $$ than one of them.

Everything is a trade-off, I am still fond of a Cub for what I do. Sometimes 7 MPH is the right speed

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Ill throw this into the mix here. I started loading all my tractor tires with propylene glycol. You can get a 55 gallon drum of it at Northern tool. This will not harm the metal at all if it leaks. In fact , it is used as a food additive and so is non toxic to people and pets. It is heavier than water per gallon and will protect metal if it leaks. It isn't thick and flows just like water. If it leaks, it wont kill the grass around the tires. I see nothing but positives about it.

On the subject of rim guard, there is only one bad thing about it. It is just beet juice. After sitting in a tire for a year or too, it smells worse than a rotting corpse when you drain it.

Just my 2cents
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:52 pm

NJ Farmer wrote:I never really considered a 10 HP tractor a real FARM tractor! My point is that you are loading down a underpowered tractor with extra weight. Also when those tube start to go so will your rims down the road.

I raise the white flag on this one because it is like saying a Chevy Truck is better than a Ford Truck and I don't mean to offend any fellow members.....

NJ Farmer

I posted this on the cub side but I am actually doing this on my Super A NOT one of my cubs as I plan on using a 2 bottom moldboard plow on it and need the weight. if it was just a cub then you might be right but I'm also using tubes so rust shouldn't be an issue. Also tractors from ol'e days were allot heavier than now and I have seen a 30-40 hp old tractor that would out pull an 80 hp Kabota that weighed half as much as that ol'e Johnny Popper... You can have 10 hp or 1000 hp but if it doesn't get the power to the ground it won't do any work. But the reason I posted it here instead of on the A-140 is because more people here would be likely to see it and answer so I decided to write it here (sorry if thats wrong, I just thought it would do better and get more replies this way)
ps I'm a Chevy guy (except cars then its MOPOWER I mean Mopar LOL)
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Super A wrote:I have never thought a Super A--140 needed fluid weight if it had iron weights already, which 99% of them in these parts do. I moldboard plow with Old Ugly and I have never experienced traction problems. For goodness sake though if you add fluid, use antifreeze! I have a white demo Super A whose rear rims are pretty near trashed because of calcium chloride..... :evil: :evil:

Al

I got the RV antifreeze as its cheaper than the green stuff in cars... I also got it when it was on sale at TSC. and as stated I'll have tubes and not adding water so rust shouldn't be an issue.
But I wanted to ask you a few things "Super A"
Why do you say it doesn't need weight as mine does have the iron weights on it... and are you plowing with a single or 2 bottom plow? Is it a fast hitch or on the regular Super A ? Is it the pull type or connected to the Super A if not fast hitch...
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 pm

The kind of ground you are plowing has a lot to do with what you need to get through it. Sandy soil is much easier than red clay to plow. I have both.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:51 pm

danovercash wrote:The kind of ground you are plowing has a lot to do with what you need to get through it. Sandy soil is much easier than red clay to plow. I have both.

Mississippi is famous for our red clay... Though I'm lucky as most of my land has 12-18 inches of sandy loam topsoil but some has only 2-4 inches before it hits concrete, I mean red clay LOL
ImageCircle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm

I use recycled antifreeze, that i get for free, from several mechanics.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:I use recycled antifreeze, that i get for free, from several mechanics.
Ed

good idea except you need to check the acidity of it as used antifreeze can be acetic and that may cause rust. But the idea of FREE is always better than on sale :D
ImageCircle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:52 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:I use recycled antifreeze, that i get for free, from several mechanics.
Ed

But you're CHEAP, Ed! :shock: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks Ed, just figured out where to take the antifreeze I have been tripping over!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”